Tv Stand For Aquarium???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Cricket lynn mclean, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Cricket lynn mclean

Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. I found this stand on Facebook for 20 bucks. The seller says it is quite sturdy and carries her hubby's weight over 300lb. I would like to put my 30 gallon aquarium on it. What do you think? Sturdy enough? The base looks good but I'm not so sure about the cabinet part. FB_IMG_1502053819666.jpg FB_IMG_1502053825539.jpg

2. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

It's hard to say. Old TVs were heavy, but that construction doesn't fill me with confidence. I try to imagine 'worst case.' A TV on the floor would be bad, really bad. A 30 gallon tank on the floor would be awful.

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Unless their hubby was 350lb and permanently lived on that stand, it's not a measure of anything since old TVs definitely didn't weigh 350lb.

Does it have a center brace? That would be a better indicator, though to me that stand is a no. If you want particle board, you might as well get an Ikea.

PS: as a craigslist and thrift store lurker, $20 for that isn't a good deal.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I'd always be wary about it collapsing.

5. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

It looks like particle board to me no more than 1/2" thick if that. I would not trust 350 lbs on it. As mentioned what supports if any are inside

6. Dropszecolorlord

Dropszecolorlord Valued Member Member

i would dare to put a 5 gallon on it it looks realy untrustworthy

7. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

There is a center support but it is also particle board. I'm thinking it's a no then lol. Thanks y'all!!!

8. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

It doesn't look like its sturdy. I would always be worried, and have anxiety have it collapsing while i'm away, or on vacation. Collapse goes the tank? I don't think so. Get a sturdy stand, and you can put your 30g on it, I have a 31g, and its about 400lb+ I don't actually know, but we have it on the stand that it came with, that is sturdy. Good luck on finding a stand for your 30g. I agree with above. ^

9. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

I really had no idea 30 gallons was that heavy ! I will definitely keep looking.

10. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Screenshot_2017-08-07-00-11-54-1.png thoughts on this one? Her husband made it.

11. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Get a Brooklyn stand from PetCo. They are cheap and super sturdy. Then you won't have to worry.

For a 30 gallon tank you have to figure the tank itself weighs about 50lbs, then with water weighing about 8.5lbs a gallon, that is 255 itself. Then add the 30lbs of sand plus decor. So you are easily up to 350lbs. If not more. Do you really want to trust a home made stand? If you don't know the person?

12. OP
    OP
    Cricket lynn mclean

Ok. I'll look into that stand. But I think I'm just going to put it on the bottom shelf of my door to Narnia. Currently I have a 10 gallon and 5.5 gallon there but they would be easier to move than a 30 I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice