Tuxedo Platy not well 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Platy' started by marklmr1960, Apr 20, 2010.

1. marklmr1960New MemberMember

Hello all

i will try and post a photo later when i figure out how to. My Tuxedo Platy has lost its dorsal fin and stays on the bottom of the tank. Its never been a mover since i got him about a month ago he just sits there and now he has stopped eating. All my other fish are doing fine. I do feel sorry for this fish because the other fish are starting to pick on him. Before he did a mad thrash trying to get out the way.

Attached Files:

2. bass masterWell Known MemberMember

looks to me like his dorsal fin is just clamped up against his body and not actually missing. What are your water parameters at? You should probably read about the nitrogen cycle (click the underlined words) to get an idea about what these numbers mean. It sounds like a water quality issue to me as well as possibly an aggression issue, what fish are you keeping him with?

3. marklmr1960New MemberMember

water was tested by my local Aquarium yesterday and was in limits.
    i have 4 barbs and 1 molly those photos don't do much credit the water is crystal clear. I use a activated carbon filter unit and the water temp is 27f
    Looking at the fish with a magnifier glass there is no fin. I did a 25% water change 8 days ago using bottled water

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

What kind of barbs?

Water is either good or it's not. Next time ask the LFS for actual values for ammonia and nitrite.

5. bass masterWell Known MemberMember

I strongly disagree with the limits given by LFS's, many employee's dont have a clue what the numbers mean and the limits specified by many strip tests are way off where they should be. Its best to at least ask for the numbers from the readings if you arent able to buy your own test kit (API master kit is most recommended). Activated carbon wont remove toxins like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, which are the three that most affect your fish and crystal clear water can still contain a massive amount of toxins, nitrate wont change you water clarity always. This is why a good knowledge of the nitrogen cycle is absolutely crucial to keeping healthy fish, you really need to read the about the nitrogen cycle...

Also what type of barbs do you have? Tiger barbs can be extremely aggressive, especially in such a small tank, and many other barbs are too big for your tank. Also mollies really shouldnt be kept in 10 gallon tanks IMO, they can get pretty big.

6. marklmr1960New MemberMember

Thanks for replying, The shop where i purchase my fish come highly recommended, They do not sell fish unless they have a sample of water them self's to test. How ever i will invest in a master test kit. I am learning about the nitrate cycle and think i am getting there, I did not put any fish in my tank for weeks until the aquarium shop was happy with the water. My barbs are not the tiger ones. I think i will leave the fish for a few more days and see if it gets better. I will get back once i have tested the water my self

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

.....are they cherry barbs?

8. marklmr1960New MemberMember

1 neon rosy barb the others are more yellow with big bellies.

I will have to get back tomorrow its 12.15 am need my sleep up in 5hrs

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. marklmr1960New MemberMember

I have got my self a water testing kit The API 5 in 1 here are the results.

N03- Nitrate = 80
    N02- Nitrite = 0
    pH = 7
    kH carbonate = 40
    GH general = 60

The sick fish did not recover. I did a partial water change 4 days ago.The remaining fish seem happy and are feeding well.

10. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Nitrates should be lower around 20 or lower. You'll have to do water changes up to 50% for daily to lower the nitrates to appropriate levels.

11. RhanWell Known MemberMember

Was there an NH3 (ammonia test) in there? If not, i suggest adding buying one, as ammonia levels are just as important to monitor as nitrates and nitrites. It will also be able to tell you (along with the nitrite and nitrate kits) if your tank is fully cycled, or if it ever runs into a mini cycle. A cycled tank is 0, 0, for ammonia and nitrite, and usually 5 or more nitrates.

I agree Jrobber, 80 is reasonably high for nitrates, but it could be much worse. I would do a daily change of 30% to 50% just until they're under 20. That way they're much more managable :) I test once a week before my weekly water changes, and my nitrates get up to 15-20 (depending on which tank i'm testing). So the nitrate test can help you work out a water change schedule over time :)

it probably wouldn't hurt feeding a little less for a week or so, just to until the nitrates are down, as overfeeding can raise nitrate levels due to the larger amount of waste.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  12. marklmr1960New MemberMember

I will start a water change right now Thanks for replying.

13. marklmr1960New MemberMember

Regarding the feeding i proberley am over feeding them i can not stop giving them a little pinch every time i go near the tank bad habit i know. Twice a day from now on

Thanks

14. RhanWell Known MemberMember

It is so, so easy to overfeed, I'm going through a slight nitrate issue with one of my tanks at the moment. My little platy fry darlings are just so cute when they tear apart frozen brine shrimp, I ended up feeding a little too much a little too often to make the nitrates jump up to 40 one week. So now I have to try to limit the brine shrimp and stick with normal food :( Oh, thats another thing, some foods can foul up the water a bit quicker, frozen generally being one of them. Also, I find shrimp pellets can do that too, if they're given too much/too often.

Finding a balance is really, really hard, trust me!

Oh, and it would be great if you could find the time to fill out your aquarium info with all your fish species/numbers, tank dimensions and/or volume, and that stuff, it just helps with the giving of the advice :)

15. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

16. marklmr1960New MemberMember

Hello all

i have done a partial water change daily for 3 days but the nitrite is still the same

N03- Nitrate = 80
    N02- Nitrite = 0
    pH = 7
    kH carbonate = 40
    GH general = 60

For the last six weeks i have been adding a water cleaner which claims to help remove
    nitrite and amonia and using bottled still water which i have filltered with a carbon filter jug. What would you recomend is the best way to go in getting the nitrite down.would Aqua safe do the trick. I have refrained from adding new fish until i know every thing is as it should be. the fish i do have in my 10 gallon tank are 4 barbs and one platy. I tell you what there is a lot more in to keeping fish then meets the eye in a good way.

17. bass masterWell Known MemberMember

water conditioners can only detox ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours between water changes, they are meant to be used along with daily water changes if you have nitrite problems. Bacteria process nitrite in an established tank so you should need to worry much about that if you are currently getting a 0 reading. Your nitrates on the other hand are way too high, remember there is a big difference between nitrIte and nitrAte, you said your nitrites are at 0, your nitrates appear to be the problem, keep up the daily water changes until you get your nitrAtes under 20. This is why you need to read up on the nitrogen cycle to understand what those numbers mean, using bottled water you have filtered will not help your nitrates as nitrate is a product that is the result of fish waste. Tap water in most cases does not contain nitrate, I would continue to use tap water because it is probably more stable than bottled water. Again, this is why a good understanding of the nitrogen cycle is very very important

4 cherry barbs and one platy should be a decent stocking level for a ten gallon tank, once you get your water quality under control I wouldnt add any more than maybe one more cherry barb.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice