Tutti frutti frogs?!

1. Dolphini Member Member

I went to one of my LFS today to potential fish for my 30g, and saw they had colored african clawed frogs! They labeled them as 'tutti frutti' clawed frogs though, and were right next to a tank with regular ACFs. Has anyone else seen these? They obviously must be dyed in some fashion, no way I'd ever get one. They're just too unnatural looking.

Here's a video of some.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoJKfkKwNCM

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I've seen them.
    I had asked the lady at the store if she knew how they got that way.
    She thought it had to do with their diet. :( Sad she didn't know any better.

The poster of that video should google dyed fish. I'm glad they're not buying any.

Edit: Found this while googled some info for another thread:
    Painted fish
    The process of dying albino frogs is probably the same as fish.

3. Dolphini Member Member

It's such a shame to have an LFS with uneducated staff. :( I love fish, and I don't think any should ever have to be 'enhanced' to be considered beautiful! Even the lowliest bristlenose pleco is cute in my eyes.

Next time I go back there (probably to get an angelfish, they had a good breeding tank and several sizes/colors) I'll ask the owners about the frogs and see what they say.

4. aquarist2012 Initiate Member

I like the normal pale frogs better. And your right, they do look too unnatural.

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

When is the human race going to evolve to the point where dyeing fish is no longer an accepted practice? I wait impatiently for the day. Until that happens, the best we can do is boycott the stores where they sell dyed fish and make phone calls to the owners of these stores to let them know how unacceptable it is to those of us who actually love our fish and do what's best for them.