Tutorial - How To Clean A Quietflow's Motor

Bruxes and Bubbles

Member
This may help your Aqueon Quietflow if -

- It is making a grinding noise.
- It is running slowly.
- It just needs to be cleaned.

What you will need -

- A sink
- Tweezers

Please remember never to plug your motor in dry, and to be careful not to get the electrical plug wet.


Step one - Remove the motor from the filter. There will be a little thing you can press to help release the motor from the filter - press this button and pull down.

image.jpg


Step two - Remove the filter intake/motor covering from the filter with the tweezers. This may take some time.

image.jpg


Step three - Remove the yellow (or white) part. This is the impeller. Grab a piece with the tweezers and tug it out.

image.jpg


Step four - Clean the impeller. Close the sink drain before you do this in case it slips. As you can see, mine had gunk and a hair on it, which caused the filter to run slowly. Also clean out the spot where the impeller sat by running that hole under the water. You can also clean the intake.

image.jpg


Step five - Put the impeller back, then snap the filter intake/motor covering back on.

image.jpg


Step six - Reattach the motor to the filter and turn it on.


Done!
 

Fanatic

Member
Great informational thread!
I will consider doing this when I need to clean mine!

Right now, mine runs slowly anyway, because I put a cap on the intake tube. The part with the protected grid (where the water sucks into) is covered up because I broke that part.

I wouldn’t want any fish getting into there. Besides, my Cory got stuck in it while in QT.
 
  • Thread Starter

Bruxes and Bubbles

Member
Fanatic said:
Great informational thread!
I will consider doing this when I need to clean mine!

Right now, mine runs slowly anyway, because I put a cap on the intake tube. The part with the protected grid (where the water sucks into) is covered up because I broke that part.

I wouldn’t want any fish getting into there. Besides, my Cory got stuck in it while in QT.
Ah. Does it have holes in it or just a cap? Maybe you could use some pantyhose?
 

Fanatic

Member
Bruxes and Bubbles said:
Ah. Does it have holes in it or just a cap? Maybe you could use some pantyhose?
Yeah, needed to find something better to use as a cover for now. The extensive tube that has the strainer like part on the end won’t stay attached.
 
  • Thread Starter

Bruxes and Bubbles

Member
Fanatic said:
Yeah, needed to find something better to use as a cover for now. The extensive tube that has the strainer like part on the end won’t stay attached.
Hm. I know of pantyhose, craft mesh, and possibly the steel mesh they use for attaching mosses to.
 

Fanatic

Member
Bruxes and Bubbles said:
Hm. I know of pantyhose, craft mesh, and possibly the steel mesh they use for attaching mosses to.
Mom, I need to borrow some of your pantyhose for my fish tank.
Don’t worry, I’ll pre-wash them before I return them.
 

corywand

Member
How do you clean out the intake tube itself? I have a ton of debris trapped in mine, and I can’t figure out how to get to it.
Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.
Edit again:
I found that I didn’t need tweezers to get the intake off, just some wiggling with my fingers.
The cord is tucked into a groove on the left side of the filter. I didn’t see that at first, and couldn’t figure out why only the right side was coming off. Turns out, you need to take the cord out of the groove first.
 

Kenpachi

Member
I think this is a better solution nothing gets by to clog the filter and it protects the shrimp and little fry from getting sucked up in.

I think Fluval makes this its like 3 dollars
mini-intake-sponge-aquarium-co-op_228_800x.jpg
 

FreshFish9

Member
Kenpachi said:
I think this is a better solution nothing gets by to clog the filter and it protects the shrimp and little fry from getting sucked up in.

I think Fluval makes this its like 3 dollars
mini-intake-sponge-aquarium-co-op_228_800x.jpg
I purchased this a week ago. Works great. Plus, the shrimp love clinging to it for a snack.
 

NYCGOLD4

Member
I have the tetra whisper for my 20 gallon tank. It was a whisper now it has a motor sound . It came with the tank its made for up to a 40 gallon .so I have it on full blast for my 4 goldfish. A bubble stone also. Will get a bigger tank soon. Doing regular water changes more than once a week. Always good levels
Any suggestions on fixing this and what new setup what filter recommended. Minamum 50 gallon tank
It’s in my bedroom so noise is an issue.
Thanks
NYCGOLD4
 

Nickguy5467

Member
i actually have that filter though ive never seen that shape intake pipe. perhaps another size. i still get grinding noise sometimes with nothing on the impeller i just turn it of then on again and play roulette pretty much and i use pre filters
 
Top Bottom