Turtles For 20 Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Musk turtles are great. They remain pretty small, are hardy and easy to keep, don't require a dry basking area, and quickly become tame and lose that nasty habit that gives them their name. Like most turtles, they're pretty hard on most plants.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Turtles are awesome, always wanted one along with a tortoise, but the red ear sliders need larger tanks due to their activity and bioload.

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds good but i don't know where exactly to find these turtles for sale. Petco and petsmart have red ear sliders but nothing else. I doubt my LFS has any.
underground reptiles, lllreptiles has them online both are very repute breeders

Just the overnight shipping though lol

Yeah good luck finding one locally

Mine has loads of personality and stayed small n cute as can be

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
underground reptiles, lllreptiles has them online both are very repute breeders

Just the overnight shipping though lol

Yeah good luck finding one locally

Mine has loads of personality and stayed small n cute as can be
This is going to be slightly off the main topic, but I’m going to have to STRONGLY STRONGLY disagree with this. Have you ever personally ordered from LLL or underground reptiles? I’ve never heard of someone having a good experience with them

I wince when I see someone ordering from LLL reptiles, Backwater reptiles, and underground reptiles. They’re all notoriously bad companies that are only still in business because they’re the first 3 pages that come up on Google when searching for reptiles to buy online.

We work very closely with other reptile breeders in our area and none of them have had even an “okay” experience with any of these companies. Often times people receive their animals deceased and the companies offer no form of reimbursement (though their websites say they will), they receive the completely wrong species, or they never receive an order all together.

Now with all of that junk being said, I would personally look for reptile expos/shows in your area and contact the person running it to see if any of their vendors have the species of turtle you’re looking for. OR you can join a Facebook Turtles And Tortoises group and ask if anyone has any musk turtles available for you. It’s crazy to say it but I would trust a stranger on a Facebook group more than I would ANYONE from LLL, Underground, or Backwater reptiles.

Here are some reviews of each just so you know I’m not talking crazy haha:

LLL: LLL Reptile and Supply Company | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Backwater: Backwater Reptiles, Inc. | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Underground: Underground Reptiles | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Last edited:

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just wanted to support what BReefer97 has said! I've always heard exactly the same.

Musks are pretty easy to find as captively bred specimens as well. The problem is often running afoul of the federal law in the UD stating that all hatchling turtles sold must have shell length of 4 inches, since mature Musks are about that big. Babies fit onto a Quater with room to spare! Only educators using turtles for education purposes are exempt from the law.

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had no idea they were that bad
I’ve seen many unboxing vids from them that were positive

I have ordered from underground reptiles before. I got my banana bumblebee ball python from them. I think that’s it besides I’ve gotten bulk feeders by them for months.

Ok but did you seriously compare them to backwater reptiles?! Lol which I have not ordered from. I was aware of their rep

I just seen several familiar well respected reptile owners use them is all

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks though @BReefer97

i was considering a green tree python and some lesser pied ball pythons from them but going through those reviews I’ve changed my mind completely

I did have a good experience with the banana bumblebee but why risk it knowing what I do now!

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had no idea they were that bad
I’ve seen many unboxing vids from them that were positive

I have ordered from underground reptiles before. I got my banana bumblebee ball python from them. I think that’s it besides I’ve gotten bulk feeders by them for months.

Ok but did you seriously compare them to backwater reptiles?! Lol which I have not ordered from. I was aware of their rep

I just seen several familiar well respected reptile owners use them is all
Underground reptiles is the one I’ve heard the least from, but what I HAVE heard hasn’t always been the greatest. My boyfriend’s cousin would order either from them or LLL, can’t remember which, until he found out the guy supplying them with a certain species of snake was doing so illegally and got arrested for it. I generally don’t trust companies like that because they mass import and mass breed animals. While there isn’t anything wrong with an imported animal, there is if it hasn’t been examined by a vet - which is why some of these reptiles come in with ticks and other parasites. And breeding reptiles at such a large scale isn’t a problem either - but these companies don’t selectively breed for good quality reptiles. They breed as much as they can as quickly as they can so they can make their money.

And you’re exactly right! Why take the chance? One of those reviews said the guy bought two ball pythons - one died and the other spread the illness to all of his other snakes. I have so many reptiles that I absolutely cannot take that sort of risk. And I know this is off topic of OP, but if you’re looking for a GTP I would look on Facebook for some good breeders. I like being able to talk with the person who actually produced the animal because that way you know exactly how it was kept and raised - with companies like LLL and what not you never really get that sort of peace of mind.

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Right you are again on the fb. I've gotten my crested locally from breeders near me on fb

I own many reptiles too but only one turtle and I guess i didn't expect many musk breeders were on fb as say, bearded dragon s lol dunno why.

yeah I've joined some for crested breeders and sellers though since I'm hoping to do this with crested myself for a bit

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BTW OP disregard my post, except for the one where I recommend musks of course

I was going off my very limited experience when it comes to ordering an animal online.

@BReefer97 thanks for the corrections and all your help in the reptile section.

Do you order feeders in bulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 76 65.5%

Top Bottom