Turtle Wax Heavy Duty

1. sgh360 Member Member

will the wax remove the white crud on my used tank? i saw it on a thread is it safe?

What is the best way to buff out scratches?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello sgh. I haven't personally had to deal with this issue. As for removing the white crud I would think a razor blade (children be careful) would suffice. Be careful not to add more scratches. I've also seen posts where vinegar was used.

Scratches...hmmmm if they are deep then you may have some problems. Have you thought about checking with places like Glass Pro?

I'm sure you'll get some more responses as people start waking up.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Hi sgh!!!
    Do not use WAX to clean the white build up on your tanks.

The thread may have been rederring to Turtle Wax polishing compund or rubbing compound to remove scratches.

The calcium build ups are fairly easy to clean with White Vinegar. Vinegar is very acidic and will disolve the build ups. Also as aquarist mentioned, a razor blade will clean off the tought stuff.

4. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Here's what I did and it worked great. I bought a 120 that was sitting half full for a while and had horrible amounts of calcium build up in it. I tried the vinegar with limited success. Then I read the same thread you did and gave it a try. I bought Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound. I got a bottle of purified water and wet an old cotton T Shirt. I would just get a small amount of the rubbing compound on the shirt and rub it straight up and down on a section of the glass from top to bottom. I applied light pressure. After that I used another cotton T shirt and then rubbed the same area again removing the rubbing compound. I was shocked with how clean the tank came. There is still a few small place with the white clouding but nothing that is noticeable unless you are looking for it. If you read that initial thread well you will see the OP contacted Turtle Wax and spoke with someone in their R&D. The abrasives in their product has the same hardness rating as glass so it cannot scratch the glass. It also is a non toxic substance that wipes right off with not residual affects. I wiped my tank clean and it is still empty but looks 100 times better then it did after I really scrubbed with the vinegar. I even tried a small area with CLR and it did not do much more then the vinegar.
    The only other advice I can give is to use the Turtle Wax Heavy Duty since nobody (that I know of) has contacted any other companies to verify the hardness level in their abrasives. Plus the jar of this stuff was about three dollars and I used less then 1% of the jar to do my 120G

5. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I also used the turtle wax heavy duty rubbing compound and it does work.

6. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

when I got my tank it was filthy and I sprayed vinegar with a little water added on the buildup. Then I used a newspaper to scrub the debris off. Then I rinsed the tank with warm water several times and let it sit for a couple hours.

7. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I have cleaned a TON of used tanks and vinegar does help but I've never been able to get a few of my tanks all the way clean. I just lived with it...So if the turtle wax works, as so side effects on the tank or the fish and has been proven by members to be safe then I would def give it a try.

8. GMCMaxx Member Member

I bought my 55 gal used. The previous owner kept it half full of water for his turtles or frogs or somthing (can't remember). There was a nasty buildup of calcium around the water line (halfway up). Plus, there was just a general film all over the entire tank. Vinigar is cheap. I bought 6-7 gallons, dumped them in the tank and filled with water up to the nasty crud line, which was halfway up. Then, I let it sit for about a day or two. When I went to clean it, the crud wiped off pretty easily with just a cloth and minimal elbow grease.

Hope this helps.

9. sgh360 Member Member

thx guys for the help managed to remove the white stuff with vinegar.