Turtle Tank - Algae Problem And 0 Ammonia/nitrates 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FTR, Apr 9, 2019.

1. FTRNew MemberMember

This is very confusing to me. I was getting INSANE algae for past few weeks. Like a brown algae all over, even soon after water change.

So I decided to use some test kits to check nh3 and no3 and they read 0 (or close to it anyway).

Now, I don't really know what it means. I don't have any plants in my tank and last water change was 3 weeks ago, not counting occasional minor water changes since I have to vacuum the bottom pretty much everyday from turtle waste so then I have to fill it up again.

I have canister filter etc. and this tank is rather old at this point and I never did 100% water change, 90% was the most I did, it was actually last water change and my desperate attempt to get rid of algae.

So what does it all mean? No algae, no nitrates and very aggressive brown algae growth.

Just to add, I recently discovered entire snail population in my canister filter. Apparently they were thriving and breeding in there like crazy. I think they got there with some plants I tried earlier but decided to abandon the idea since my turtle just destroys everything.

A few months ago I also used testkits and back then it was reading zero ammonia and a lot nitrates, is it possible that my tank cycled? But could it cycle itself so effectively without any plants?

Should I keep fighting and removing algae or just let it be?

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore sorry you’re having problems, hope our members can help you today