Turtle Pond Planning

1. C

ChaosCorrupter Valued Member Member

I'm currently on vacation visiting some family in Vietnam and after looking at the little pond they had in their garden my dad and I got inspired to make our own pond. I'm gonna be in Vietnam for another two weeks so this thread is more for me to share my ideas and get feedback. I have an idea of where i want the pond but its not set in stone since that overlaps with my mom's flowerbed a little and she's still not completely sold on the idea :p (My dad and I have a plan involving a clean house and saying that the pond might raise property value).

Okay, enough backstory. I was thinking to make the pond for my two red eared sliders so they can finally get out of the tank they are quickly outgrowing. I might also put some rosy red minnows in too. I'm aiming for a pond that is at least 500-1000 gallons. I cant figure out the length and width considering I am not at home but I want the deepest part of the pond to be 3-4 feet. I'm leaning more towards 4 feet. I want to have many levels throughout the pond so the turtles have many areas to relax but also to grow plants. I am planning to put many different types of plants in it. Maybe some hardy water lilies, plants native to western WA, or plants that can survive in that climate. I would prefer to take as little things in for the winter as possible but if i must, I could buy a small stock tank or maybe use the empty 29 gallon unless my dad has plans for it. My plan was to also incorporate another small tub/pond that feeds a waterfall. The waterfall is going to flow into a bog area for marginal and emergent plants. As for filters, I'm not dead set on anything other than I'm going to try to build it myself. I had an idea to have 3 containers. The first container was to be used as a sediment chamber to get all the large solids out of the water. The second and third containers were going to be biofilters. The second was a submerged media filter based sort of on the Skippy filter. The third was going to be a trickle filter to help oxygenate the water as well. I might skip the whole sediment chamber and just stick to a prefilter on the pump and a layer of mechanical filtration incorporated somewhere before the first biofilter. The filter output would pour into the waterfall pond. The final step of the filter will be the bog area. I would most likely use 55 gallon drums for the containers.

I'm really looking for feedback on my filter idea, some species of plants i should use, etc. Thanks for reading through all that.:;hi1

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

Advertisement

3. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like an interesting project, but are the red ears able to survive the winters outdoors, in your area? Will it be heated? I would think plants like cattail, pickerel weed and hardy water lilies would do fine in that climate. Welcome to the forum and glad you have joined us. If you scroll down under forums there is a section for pond gardening . There is a member there named Dadio. If you look at his threads he has a koi pond he built that is incredible and he is very helpful with advice and his knowledge on building water features and ponds. ..:;hi1 Alison

4. OP
    OP
    C

Red eared sliders have already becomes established in my area so I assume they would do alright. I am a little worried if they would be able to handle hibernation so ill probably take them in for the first winter. Ill look into cattails and such, see of there is a native species.

5. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FL. Bakki shower filter https://www.google.ca/search?q=Bakk...YfS1VM:;MByyU2QsOjPdUM:&imgrc=IhFyK4WbYfS1VM: sounds similar to what your trying to do and works like a charm. Wintering shouldn't be an issue as it's in their nature to hibernate as long as the pond does not become a block of ice. Make sure the pond is at least 2 feet deep and you could provide a pond de-icer to keep an opening but in the case of turtles not sure that's a requirement other than not being frozen solid.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Its been two weeks but I'm finally back home. I measured the area that I thought I could build the pond and I have an area of about 10ft x 8ft of space of actual dirt that I can dig. There is a concrete area next to it so I'll probably put the filter and the waterfall on there. I just don't know if the pond will get enough sunlight since its next to a fence and a broken hot tub. I'll have to watch for the sunlight but from what I saw in one day the pond will get a little bit of sun in the morning and a lot midday. Another problem might be the fence, it has slits into between the wood boards so some stuff could get through. I'll build a wall to keep the turtles in but I am more worried about the neighbors accidently getting things into the pen. Other than those things, I would just need to get the materials and clean up the pond site before I can start constructing it. Oh and to research some more about what plants I should use.

7. OP
    OP
    C

This might be a little bit spammy but I talked with my dad and the 10x8 spot is out of the question since there's electrical cables and things under it. It works out for the better though. That spot was part of my mom's garden and there's a fairly decent sized tree and that seemed like a pain to move. My dad said I could use a grassy portion next it so that increases my work space to about 12ft x 12+ft (these aren't real measurements just my guess from what I see from my window). It also eliminates the hot tub blocking sunlight. It might've even created an issue of too much light but that's easily fixed with plants.

Advertisement