Turtle In Bathtub??

1. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

I was wondering if it was possible to put a red ear slider in a bathtub. The bathtub is about 4 feet by 20 inches, and is round. I thought it would be cool if I could watch a turtle everytime i was in the shower.(Seperate box, not connected.

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

My son had a friend who kept a few in a bath tub when they were younger.

3. scarface

scarface Well Known Member Member

Wouldn’t you need a uva/uvb basking light? And then I’d be too paranoid about electrocution.

Also, turtles are very messy, and they can smell. I personally wouldn’t want to shower near one.

4. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

Keep in mind they get to a foot long when grown and require a 120 gallon tank. Most bathtubs hold only 40 gallons and are much too shallow as they guys need to be able to swim.

They also need to be able to fully emerge from the water in a location with heat and UVB so they can digest properly and not develop metabolic bone disease. Being able to get out of the water completely is important or they can get shell rot.

Cleaning products in a bathroom may be an issue as well, especially anything harsh.

Also, my turtles do not smell and their water stays crystal clear, but I have serious filtration on them and do massive water changes weekly. The stinky nasty looking turtle tanks that most people think about (myself included) is bad husbandry!

5. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

So, I actually was thinking about a egg crate dock and lighting.

6. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

If you have a spare bathtub that you don’t use, go for it. If not, definitely don’t do this. You would have to tear down their set up and restart any time you wanted to take a shower/bath. You would have to scrub everything in between because of soap residue build up.

7. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Yeah, it is completely unused. I used it about once in the last 5 or so years. We have a big house. (4 bathrooms) BTW, this might noot be permanent. I am planning a pond 125-250 gallons

8. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a plan! Just make sure when you build a pond for the turtle that you make a pen around it (so it doesn’t escape) and there’s land areas for it and not just the pond itself. Some planks of wood around it works perfectly as turtles can’t climb them. I would also make sure the turtle as adequate space to bury itself during the winter months.

9. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Yes, I was going to make a small fence. I will take the turtle in in the winter.

10. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

I think it's a wonderful idea so long as it has enough space.

Keep in mind for outdoor pens/pools that they should be covered over with chicken wire or hardware cloth for safety. Racoons and some birds love to eat turtle!

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Honey, why is there a turtle in my tub!
    Seriously, my mom would freak out if she came home and saw a turtle in the bathtub :)

12. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

So, in texas is it necessary? The biggest birds I ever see look like vultures, and I never see raccoons. So is a top cover needed? That would make access harder for me too

13. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

You'd have eagles and coyotes? I would check with a local turtle to group to see, but predation does happen with pet turtles.

14. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve had 2 red eared slider turtles (one baby and one big adult) and a baby snapping turtle taken away by big birds, raccoons, and opossums.

I would make a mesh lid.

15. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Oh, okay. It was just that I never saw anything big enough to catch it. I will try and get one. I believe I had a roll of mesh in my garage.

16. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Make sure it’s small enough so the turtle can’t get his or her head stuck in the mesh.

17. Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

It would be really easy to do water changes. I'd say go for it if you have the extra tub and stuff you need to make it work.

18. Zoomo

Zoomo Member Member

This look so cool.

19. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

Just checking. The grandparents know about the pond and the turtle bathtub ideas correct?

20. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

I've told them my idea. They most likely won't mind the bathtub. it is upstairs, and they stay downstairs. I'm sure they would like having pond in the backyard too. They are so calming