Turtle in a 40 gal

fishfishfish2457

Reaction score
as some of you now I have just set up my 40-gallon community tank and I love it so much I am looking at getting a 40 gallon long and my friend has suggested a painted turtle or 2 musk turtles I have taken this into consideration and am wondering if a 40 gal can hold either options? I am also open to other turtle suggestion's thx

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the painted turtle would be a better option. According to several sources an adult painted would need at least 20 gallons of water while a single musk would need 29. I think with two musks it might be a little bit on the small side but could be done. It's my understanding that turtles produce a lot of waste too so the single painted would likely be a bit of a safer bet.

Also just generally speaking if this is your first turtle it might be better to just have one to focus on. That way you wouldn't need to worry about one getting sick and having to separate it somehow or worse case scenario having to pay for 2 vet bills.

Gamer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have two common musks in a 40, there hasn’t been any aggression so far just if one grabs a mouthful of food the other may try to take off after him to feed on it too.

I still do not ever think it’s s good idea unless you have a backup plan in place . If mine were to fight I’m prepared to separate them.

a single painted is great option too if you’re new to turtles in general.
People have had success adding two babies same size and let them grow together.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Actually, musks are some of the smaller turtle species. This is my 1 yr. old razorback musk. It still has some growing to do. I highly recommend them vs. basking species in terms of ease of care.
musk1.jpg

Feed me.
musk.jpg

AJ34

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did you get a turtle yet!?
I have a painted and he has a really good temperament and he is a good eater.

As far as basking you just have to make sure you have the proper bulbs and UVB at the correct distances from the dry basking area. I keep his basking spot around 90 degrees. It’s not that hard ...just takes experimentation and monitoring.

As far as size females can still get a good size. Males are smaller. They do make a lot of waste so you want a lot of filtration.

I really enjoy keeping a turtle , they are fun to watch!

OP
F

fishfishfish2457

Reaction score
AJ34 said:
Did you get a turtle yet!?
I have a painted and he has a really good temperament and he is a good eater.

As far as basking you just have to make sure you have the proper bulbs and UVB at the correct distances from the dry basking area. I keep his basking spot around 90 degrees. It’s not that hard ...just takes experimentation and monitoring.

As far as size females can still get a good size. Males are smaller. They do make a lot of waste so you want a lot of filtration.

I really enjoy keeping a turtle , they are fun to watch!
sorry I decided not to get a turtle :( I did some more research and they were just not for me I think I am going to do a native tank instead!

New Threads