Turtle Filtration

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by AJ34, Aug 18, 2019.

1. AJ34

AJ34Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +167
    Experience:
    1 year
    What are you guys using for filtration and let me know your tank size/volume as well? I currently just have a standard 20 gallon with a single painted hatchling, that I try my best to feed out of the tank. I'm using a tetra whisper 40i. I just went with this because it was cheap and the most powerful on Amazon like $12.00 and I know will have to upgrade again when I upgrade the tank. I also have the 20i in my 10 gallon snail tank and I figured temporarily I could use both if needed if one doesn't suffice. So far so good though, water seems clear. (Sadly my dwarf puffer died unexpectedly today) so ....if I don't continue breeding snails or get another DP that second filter will be free for a back up. I'm just curious, I know alot of people with mature turtles use canister filters...I have no experience with them whatsoever.

2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,513
    Experience:
    2 years
    not sure about turtles, maybe when it gets bigger and you upgrade to a larger tank you'll want to upgrade to a canister.

I used to run two of the 20i in my 29g feeder goldfish tank, now i run two AC50s. i still run one of them on my 20g QT/fry tank. they work well, but the factory filter cartridge should be upgraded for better performance.

this is the video i learned from, i did not put any media at the intake, just polyfill in the bottom for mechanical filtration and two bags of Fluval Biomax ceramic beads for biological filtration.

3. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Ratings:
    +167
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for the video. I might actually do that with the 20i in my 10g snail tank...I probably need to keep using carbon with the turtle or it will get to smelly as they are dirty ones. I could possibly use a smaller bag of carbon with this hack and make it work. Yeah I think a canister might be the best way to go for a larger tank with a turtle.

4. Gamer

GamerWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +312
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    In my 29 gallon, I like to get by with a HOB, aquaclear 40 if possible. If it is a 36” or 48” tank I worry about a canister then, but yeah hob can work for a 20 and if you use the 40i internal which is what I have as well on hAnd then the video to upgrade the bio media is s great one to follow.

5. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    5 years
    I would say those open frame/body tetra whisper filters or a canister would be your best options. Since you don't have a tank filled to the brim when you have turtles it's nice that the tetra filters suction to the back instead of hanging on the edge, that way you just put the filter as low as you need it to be. Similar concept with a canister.

6. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,513
    Experience:
    2 years
    the suction cups did work very well for me, i used the included hook to hang it off the rim.

7. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Ratings:
    +167
    Experience:
    1 year
    I just have mine in the corner with stones around it. It’s so heavy my turtle can’t move it but when he gets bigger and I raise water I will mostly likely use the hook. I use the hook on my fish tank and it works good.

Become a Fishlore Member