Turtle canister for aquarium use?

1. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I'm looking to cheaply upgrade my two betta into a split 10 gallon. I found a really cheap canister for a turtle tank and was curious if this would work for tropical fish, new of course.

Zoo Med 501 Turtle Canister Filter

It's advertised for a 15 gallon, and I'm wondering what the GPH rate is? I have high tap nitrates and looking for a way to use Denitrate, but it's a 50 GPH and lower product.

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It shows 79gph. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's basically pulling dirty water in, through the media, and then shooting it back out into the tank as "clean" water. Turtles are messy so if it can handle their waste it's gotta be able to handle fish!

3. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I just didn't know if there was a difference between the two. I'm getting tired of mixing distilled water and treating with a buffer

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are you running currently in your bettas' tanks?

5. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Two 2.5, one is a tetra on an air pump, the other is a Cascade 20 HOB. I'd rather invest into a system to deal with an issue than buy 5 gallons of water a week

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If your source water is "bad" won't you still need to mix water? You'll just only have to add it to one tank rather than 2.

7. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Right now, I'm only using 1-2 gallons a week and mixing them with warm tap water to match the temp.

With a low flow canister and denitrate, I can use my regular tap water to do water changes. I wouldn't have to mix anything

8. peregrine Member Member

If you are talking about the zoomed one. They have the same one as an aquarium but its exactly the same. I have seen 3 different ones all basically the same. Hardest part is the water flow is backwards of what you would think. The tube in the tank is actually the out, so for best filtration you will need to get different media and reorganize them. There are youtube videos for most of them

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Sweet. Just what I needed to know. I have a sponge lying around and already have bio max media in the one tank. I would like filter Floss post sponge, pre biomedia, and denitrate. Just have to dig a little more and see if I can use it effectively with 80 gph

10. peregrine Member Member

Should be fine with the 80 gph..basically you can put the denitrate amd bio media on the out flow side (takes a little shaking to get the tube down) or bottom of in flow. Then put filter floss on top of bio the filter on top of that.

11. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Went with nitrazorb. Figured it was better than guessing.

Also, the filter works really well, but the media placement is backwards. You need to put a sponge over top of the chemical filtration for a first stage mechanical.

It goes, bio, chem, mech, in that order of the flow. Bio media needs to be messed with to fit it in the out flow side, and line I said, a sponge on top of the media on the inlet side.

12. peregrine Member Member

Yup. I have been debating about ordering one of those types an all the reviews of people using it I saw on youtube said the same thing. Glad it's working well.

13. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Honestly, not pushing the betta around and still circulating water, but I have the bar pointed up at an angle to disturb the surface.

It's quiet too, but has to be level with the tank, which can put people off with the hidden idea.

I'd recommend it, for now as mine is still new, but not with a need for using bio specific media AND chemical filtration. A little DIY but nothing that's mentally taxing.

Maybe the nano 10 is a different media setup

14. peregrine Member Member

Nope, from all the reviews I saw they all are the same.

As for media, what I saw one person do is put all media ((other than sponges) in media bags. That way they use the media bag to wrap it around the edges of the outtake chamber so it has a hole down the middle. But they also didn't use the bio media that came with it, so not sure about the size.

Then on the other side, they said just for more bio, put another small bag of bio at the bottom (like one layer, just enough to cover the opening between the 2 chambers) Then fine filter, media on top of that them course right at the top.

I'll let you guinea pig it for a few weeks. Then maybe get one. HAHA

15. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Well, the NitraZorb takes up a lot of the free space. The biomedia is under the outtake sponge and another sponge over the NitraZorb.

Maybe a cage that the outtake tube fits into and nix that sponge would make a perfect solution to house biomedia (cross stitch mesh and fishing string). A larger sponge, filter floss, then potential chemical after that.

Either way, an effectively cheap canister, even if designed butt backward.

16. peregrine Member Member

Yup. The ones I saw removed the outtake sponge all together, then used all that area for bio.

17. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I'd buy it. A canister for $40? A good HOB is like 20-30 and a sponge filter is 10 plus the pump (I think). I'd just cut the sponge larger than the space to reduce/eliminate blow by.

There's obviously cheaper options, but I've yet to see a canister for anything small that's reasonably priced.

18. peregrine Member Member

Actually on Amazon there is the KollerCraft one that is the same for like $25 which is why I've been debating about it.. I think it's just the generic brand of same thing.

19. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Can you link that?

20. peregrine Member Member