Turtle And Crab Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ankers, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

I was thinking about using my old ten gallon tank for two turtles and a leopard crab. Can I do that and if not are there any crabs compatable with turtles and do leapard crabs need any special care?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't suggest that turtles will most likely eat the crabs IMO you should just do turtles.

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

No turtles can go in a 10 gallon. Most need at least 55 gallons.

4. Kenny777

True di dnt think about That:p

5. OP
    OP
    Ankers

Which turtles would you recommend
    I need something small

6. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

You can't keep turtles in a 10 gallon tank, long term. A 10 gallon would only be suitable for QT or grow out.
    I would suggest frogs or a shrimp and crab tank.

7. Kenny777

What about dwarf puffers?

8. OP
    OP
    Ankers

Besides African dwarf frogs what else would you recommend

9. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

any turtles get huge...and their bio-load is worse than goldfish

10. Kenny777

Newts and salamanders? I'm not totally sure. Leopard gekos or a snake.

11. Floundering_Around

A 10 gallon is on the small side for most amphibians and reptiles . There is a 10 gallon stocking list available that has been posted by the experts

12. Kenny777

I disagree the OP could easily do fire belly toads, a corn snake, leopard gekos, milk snakes, Pac man frog, and etc.

13. FishFish221

Corn snakes need at least a 20 gallon, and same for leopard geckos. Two fire belly toads or a pacman toad can go in a 10 gallon. Just remember that most (if not all) of these live for more than 10 years.

14. Kenny777

Leopard gekos and corn snakes don t need 20g you could easily do 2 leopard gekos in a 10g and 1 corn snake in a 10g

15. FishFish221

Maybe a leopard gecko, but definitely not a corn snake. They get to more than a meter in length.

16. Kenny777

Ummm maybe a foot but definitely not a meter are you thinking of something else?

17. Floundering_Around

Corn snakes can grow to almost 6 feet long and will eventually need a 20 gallon. A single leopard gecko can be kept in a ten gallon

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  18. i

ilovefishys17 Valued Member Member

What about a axolotl. It would be a grow out tank though.

19. Floundering_Around

10-gallon aquarium can accommodate a single adult axolotl, but due to the large amount of waste produced by these messy creatures, a 20-gallon aquarium is a safer choice. Temperatures up to the low 70s Fahrenheit are tolerated well by axolotls. An ideal temperature range is the low to mid 60s. Temperatures above 74 degrees will invariably lead to heat stress, loss of appetite and death. If you cannot provide year-round temperatures below this limit, axolotls are not the ideal pet for your circumstances. If you must have an axolotl but you have temperature problems, consider buying an aquarium chiller for the warmer parts of the year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice