Turquoise Rainbows.. Possible Fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victoria08

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought 2 turquoise rainbows 2 days ago. I have them in a 10 gallon quarantine tank that finished cycling about 3 days prior. Last night I noticed they have what looks to be a small white growth on their lips. I had noticed it on the tips of their fins too but it seems like it is gone. I just dosed with Tetra lifeguard but I feel like now that was probably a mistake from what I've read.
My water parameters before the fish were:
Ph-8
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0

Now after the fish:
Ph-8
Ammonia-.25
Nitrities-0
Nitrates-0

What should I do? Should I continue to dose the tank or no?
Im going to try to upload some pictures. Also they are eating fine and their color has developed more just since we got them.

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How did you cycle the tank? It doesn't sound cycled with ammonia and no nitrates.

Fungal infections are often opportunistic, taking advantage of stressed or immunocompromised fish or poor water quality. Personally, I would just be doing daily water changes for a while, to see if they can get rid of it on their own, with good water quality and less stress.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know exactly what you are talking about.

i had a similar looking bump on my rainbows lip some say it's columnaris others say its because they bump into things and injure themselves especially during travel. The suggestion was to it give it a bath in methylene blue solution

OP
Victoria08

Victoria08

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had first tried to cycle with blue ribbon ammonia but the ammonia never went down. So then I cycled with a raw shrimp in a stocking and it worked fine. Took about a month and a half. Had a about 2-3 ppm ammonia, nitrite then nitrate spike, then no ammonia, then no nitrites. Did a water change then nitrates went down. Did another water change a few days later then everything was at 0.
They may be stressed since I had about an hour drive from the lfs to my home (I live in a very small town) so maybe the long trip caused them to be stressed.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How long was the tank without an ammonia source? i.e. when you stopped with the shrimp and when you added the fish.

The drive likely didn't stress them that much - they have traveled much further for much longer already. It's more likely the change in environment that stressed them. Hopefully they'll do better soon!

OP
Victoria08

Victoria08

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I took the shrimp out about 5 minutes before I put the fish in. I had it tied in a stocking so not too much gunk got out. I fished out what did with a net.

OP
Victoria08

Victoria08

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes probably about 25-30%. Nitrates were at 0 after. Everything else was at zero.
So does it seem like I've done everything right? I havent had fish in a very long time so I'm trying to be very careful and do everything properly.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, it does. I would just keep up with water changes to keep the water pristine to help him heal. If it gets worse, I would consider treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 5 15.2%

Top Bottom