Turning Temp Down After Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kingofnon, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Kingofnon

Kingofnon Valued Member Member

Somy tank has been offically cycled for twoish weeks. Still been feezing it ammonia and getting plants in. My temp is still at the cycling temp of 30c.

So i need to start getting my temp down to 26c ready for fish. However, i have read two conflicting stories.

1 - turn the tank to 26c as soon as the tank is cycled or when you are ready to stop feeding and add fish

2 - turn ut down slowly over days or you will ruin the cycled tank and BB could die off due to sudden temp drop.

I also read someone who turned it down in one go had nitrites reappear at 0.25 to 0.50 and as soon as the temp went up. It started cycling perfectly again.

What is the correct here??

2. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

You can turn the temp down to 26, the tank does not drop the temperature in minutes but takes hours to get down to 26C.
    You can stop feeding ammonia 48 hours before adding the fish, do partial water change to bring the nitrates down to a manageable level before adding the fish.

Remember to add fish slowly over a period of few weeks, you can overload the BB by adding all the fish at once and that is the usual reason why nitrites / ammonia shows up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice