Turning Sand during water changes

fishyluv

When turning sand with your hand during a water change, does everyone's water get hazy and how long does it take to clear up? Oh, and how long do you wait before you turn your filters back on? I have aqua clears and a powerhead. Thank you in advance!

Matt B

I usually use a sand rake and it does kick up teeny tiny debris, the sand I use settles very quickly so I don't shut off my filters and it seems to clear within an hour. Also, I do this probably once a month, relying on my mts to agitate it in between.

I'm sure running the filter helps clear it but use caution if you leave yours running, a lot of sand will end up ruining your filter if you don't shut them off while doing this. If you had play sand, for example, it tends to be smaller grain and float around more so it would probably cause issues if the filter was running.

fishyluv

Thanks matt! I have pool filter sand and I do turn off all my filters to be safe. Where do you find a sand rake? I think I need one because it is hard to reach down in a 125!!! lol Thanks again Matt

AlexAlex

Sand rakes used to be sold at Ace Hardware and Lowe's. I'd call those places (if they're in your area) and ask customer service.

Too, I have the HTH Pool Sand and it clears quite quickly, but I always turn off the filters to be on the caution side when doing water changes and stirring the sand (I stir every 2 weeks).

fishyluv

Sand rakes used to be sold at Ace Hardware and Lowe's. I'd call those places (if they're in your area) and ask customer service.

Too, I have the HTH Pool Sand and it clears quite quickly, but I always turn off the filters to be on the caution side when doing water changes and stirring the sand (I stir every 2 weeks).

So what dept are they sold in? What are they made of? Just curious and I will be looking next time I go to town!! lol

fishyluv

I forgot to ask how much do they cost? Thanks

AlexAlex

Sand rake website (I assume you can use one of the ones listed as I couldn't find one for Lowe's and Ace):

Here is a How-To video on the raking, too. It's quite informative:

The above would be a cheap way to make one, too.

fishyluv

Sand rake website (I assume you can use one of the ones listed as I couldn't find one for Lowe's and Ace):

Here is a How-To video on the raking, too. It's quite informative:

Thanks AlexAlex for your help and linking me to the website!! You helped me alot!

AlexAlex

Thanks AlexAlex for your help and linking me to the website!! You helped me alot!

I hope so, too! Sometimes it's a hit and miss with folks! lol

Matt B

Whoa! Those are some big grading rakes! I use this thing, it's more aquarium sized:

fishyluv

Whoa! Those are some big grading rakes! I use this thing, it's more aquarium sized:

I just checked this out and it is awesome! I will be ordering this for sure! Thanks a lot MattB!!

Aquarist

Good morning,

Another helpful link w/video below. Give the video a minute to load then hit play:

Ken

Matt B

You're welcome, glad to be of assisstance.

escapay

My water gets hazy when I stir the sand. It takes an 1-3 hours to clear up. I pretty much turn the filters back on after I finish doing my water change. Of course, I change one tank and then do the other and add water in them after I pulled all the water I was going to out. So it is about 30-60 minutes of the filters being off.

Junne

I use a turkey baster and lift small parts of the sand up, as well as get the small debris that I don't get with my gravel vacuum. I always turn the filter off and leave it off for about 15 minutes. Usually I don't kick up enough sand to leave it off for much longer than that. Also, I too rely on my 100 MTS snails to do the normal stirring of the sand

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
Arvil
Replies
Views
Butterbean
Replies
Views