Turning prime into safe

dmk164
do you suppose its ok to premix your your safe with water and keep it in the prme container and by way makeing your own prime i hope so cause i did it will save me $1000's of dollars if it works

fallfever
Not sure why you’d need to do that. It doesn’t need to be diluted. I just sprinkle 1/4 to 1/8 a teaspoon in each tank during water changes and have for years. Not sure why anyone would use the liquid

Golden Magikarp
dmk164 said:
do you suppose its ok to premix your your safe with water and keep it in the prme container and by way makeing your own prime i hope so cause i did it will save me $1000's of dollars if it works
Hi there. It's been awhile since I've visited their website. But IIRC, Seachem said not to do that because Safe does not stabilize in water for very long unlike Prime. If you leave Safe in the water too long and prevent the Nitrogen cycle from doing its work, then when you add in the water in which you think is safe, is actually not safe anymore, because the Safe is no longer working. If you get what I mean. I trust you know how the products work. (Upon adding in Safe or Prime, the chemicals bond with: Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate, forming big clumps. Then when your filter sucks in those clumps, it 'detoxifies' the treated water.) Prime contains stabilizers that help the detoxifying chemicals in the solution to keep for longer. But Safe on the other hand, does not have those stabilizers and so, must be used right away. I believe, (not a Chemistry Major) this is why Safe is so much more potent than Prime, and cost friendly too! But ultimatley, it is up to you. I have seen some guy on YouTube do what you said and stored the mix in a spray bottle for his 10 gallon XD. But there were quite a few people down in the comments who basically said what I said. I think Safe was meant for pond owners but, like you said, it really does save us a lot of money! I personally just use a pinch every water change for my 20 gallon. Sometimes I even do 2 pinches because I self-doubt myself and worry that 1 pinch is not enough. It's quite the jump from 1 cap of Prime to 1 pinch of Safe!

coralbandit
I have premixed my SAFE for the last 4-5 years .
I have a chlorine test and it works like it is supposed to . For months if you store it that long ..Mine never last over a month .
When I finish my current kilo of SAFE I will have treated over 1,000,000 gallons .
I add 1 teaspoon to 1,000 ml water and get a solution of 1ml treats 2 g ..

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom