Turning Point Of Your Aquarium Hobby

Ayushman Singh
I was thinking about my aquarium hobby and when did it changed this much and how it begun etc., I was wondering how did the other fishlore members might have begun their hobby and when/how did the became from extreme noob to what they are now

So I started my hobby when I was about 10-11 can't remember exactly and my parents bought a 15 gallon bowl it had 3 pair of goldfish in it red caps, ordinary and bubble eyes, after few weeks only 2 survived as I knew now it was way too overstocked and also I did 100% water change each week, then one day I dropped it accidently while doing a water change the single pair wasn't in it so it was safe then we got a 29 g tank for them and bought some koi with it they kept dying and I kept buying as the shopkeeper told me in aquarium hobby death of fish is common then after about 9 months of murders I came to know a bit abit about aquariums from the Internet then I understood the causes of deaths, this was the turning point of my hobby and then I joined fishlore and find it one of my best decisions, hope I didn't bore, also share yours

delete999
I started out about a year ago, and cringe at what happened. Got 3 mystery snails. Water parameters killed them in days as I set everything up and bought them the same day. Gave up for a month of researching. Did an extra credit project on the nitrogen cycle in a fish tank and cycled a tank. A year later, I finally got mysteries in a different tank, as their cousins live in the bayou near me and hold a special place in my heart. Love my babies, would never jump into things involving animals without research again. I also learned this lesson and am taking care of leopard geckos with the help of another forum. Still feel bad for my first snails, but I can't change the past.

BottomDweller
I won a goldfish at a fair when I was five. My mum took me to the lfs, bought a bowl that came with gravel and food. She asked her friend if keeping goldfish was expensive to which he replied "well you've got to buy the food". We bought her a common goldfish as a friend who died after a week. We bought another who also died after a week. I've now had her for 9 years! (Obviously she's no longer in the bowl)

The turning point for me was when we built a pond. I did a lot of research on fish that could go in the pond and we got 8 goldfish. My 9 year old goldfish is joining them in the pond next spring

NavigatorBlack
A guy tried to sell my parent life insurance when I was 8. They didn't like the deal, but they bought his fish tank and I really got into it. I've always had at least one fish tank going since. I'm 58 now, so I have seen the 'long game".
I worked a bit a pet shop in my teens. The owner was in his eighties and had started fishkeeping in the 1920s. He liked to tell stories (good ones too) and I learned a lot about the low tech early hobby.
What I see is that you either decide to take some time and learn why we do things, how fish live in the wild and how that affects our tanks, etc, and you can enjoy this for a lifetime. Or, you can avoid the details, see the fish as ornaments, get bored, and sell your tank in a year. It helps to be at least a "secret nerd" to really get the most out of this hobby.

My turning point was when I found and joined a local aquarium club. All of a sudden I had access to fish I had never seen before, and to breeders who could tell me all about them.

Aquaphobia
My turning point came when I joined Fishlore. All my life people around me kept fish successfully, bred them, raised them. Exotic species and everything. I couldn't keep anything alive! No one told me what I was doing wrong and my bullheadedness wouldn't let me give up. I thought if I just kept at it I'd crack the secret and my fish would live! Finally I gave the equipment from the last failure away and said I'd had enough. I wasn't meant to keep fish.

Still, I liked tanks and I thought maybe a planted tank would be ok. No fish to kill. So I bought a mature planted tank with everything already up and running and figured I couldn't go wrong! Then I added a betta. Then I almost killed the betta. Then I joined this forum and found out where I'd gone wrong all those years!

Sina
I started my fish keeping professionally 8 months ago before that the only fishes was betta in a bowl but I don't count them since they were for my parents and I'm sometimes just do the water change but when I started my own fish keeping I don't really have a big turn since I do a lot of research about tank size and nitrogen cycle for example I wanted to buy a ten gallon tank at first but after research I understood that if you are beginner you better start with 20 gallon or more because it is easier to control water quality but I had some mistakes such as stocking with 1 gallon per fish rule and let the lfs do the stocking for me but I correct it with joining in fish lore so my I'm going to say my turning point was joining here

cichlidman
My parents had a 20 gallon set up in our living room I sat and watched it constantly I was hooked by the age of 12 . That was 18 years ago. When I bought my first home it had to have room for all my aquariums and some!

Advertisement
Piaelliott
6 months ago, I was offered a used 20 gal tank with everything and I was thinking, why not, time to learn something new and I like animals.
I ended up getting a 40 gal breeder tank, the original tank is still in the basement

bgclarke
My father had an aquarium when I was young, but I never got into it when I moved on to my own life.

My wife and I talked about getting one, but never got around to it.

Our daughter moved in with her boyfriend and gave us her 5.5 gallon tank and accessories last October.

The tank was nasty and needed to be cleaned. We thought it was a bit small so picked up a 10 gallon kit.
We quickly learned that we needed to cycle the tank (explained why my daughter killed pretty much every fish that ever went into her tank) and went about cycling.

Picked up a 3 gallon round tank and a betta on Black Friday.

Did a lot of research and bought individual components for a 20 gallon high setup during boxing week sales. Currently cycling that tank using stability and media from our cycled 10 gallon.

We're thinking of getting another 10, or perhaps a 15 tall.

Oh that free 5.5 gallon tank? Still sitting empty in the corner

Aquaphobia
Oh that free 5.5 gallon tank? Still sitting empty in the corner

Not for long at the rate you're going!

bizaliz3
My turning point was when I got my python water changer 3 years ago! During my first year or so of fish keeping, I didn't do water changes as often as I should. Not even CLOSE. I don't even want to admit!! But the bucket method is exhausting!!

I also didn't have cories or rasboras in appropriate shoals/schools and my tanks were also way overstocked.

As a result of getting the python and having water changes be so easy...I ended up getting severe MTS and got a LOT more tanks (That first year I just had two 29s...)

Then I quickly added two 55s and it just exploded from there. Now I have 14 tanks.

Once I started getting more tank space, I got my first true shoal of cories, all one species. It made me understand that my different species of cories just "hanging out together" was NOT AT ALL The same as a shoal of all one species actually shoaling together. My harlequins went from being in a group of 3 in a 29 to a group of 15 in a 55....that was also an amazing change to see!!!

Basically, what I learned is that when fish are given the appropriate space AND the appropriate schools....they are MUCH MUCH more fun to watch! It's not that I didn't realize it was better for them.....but....I didn't really appreciate it until I experienced it first hand. A lot of people think their fish are perfectly happy. I thought mine were!! I truly did!!! I quickly learned otherwise once I started taking things much more seriously and saw what a TRULY happy fish looks like!!

So, then once my tanks started getting weekly water changes at minimum....my fish started breeding! Plecos and angels. So the water quality made a huge difference too. Obviously, since they began breeding!! LOL

EVERYTHING changed for me once I got that python!! My whole fishy world changed and my seriousness and appreciation of the hobby made a complete 180.

unfortunately, I am one that has to live and learn through experience. My mom says I am "un-coachable" LOL I'm 33 years old and she still tells me that. haha So people could tell me what is best or what should be done for my fish, but I didn't truly appreciate it until I saw the benefits first hand. Now it just makes me SICK to think about how poorly I cared for my fish during that first year-ish. The cool thing is I still have most of those fish from that first year They made it through my naïve and lazy period!!!

And NOW....I am definitely coachable....with my fish world anyway!! LOL I am all about getting advice and doing everything I can to give my fish the absolute best I can give them! They have cleaner environments than I do! Because all of my energy outside of my 9-5 is spent on their tanks!! LOL

I guess the other turning point was a direct result of the python....as stated...and that is the breeding of angelfish. My obsession with that has gotten a bit out of control! But I have the space I need to do it! And I am having a lot of fun with it!!

bgclarke
At first I thought the Python system was cool, but didn't think I'd need one.

However, when I got the 20 gallon tank and started filling it using the same method I use for my 3 and 10 gallon tanks (4 liter/1 gallon water jug) there was no way I was going to continue doing that.

Picked up the 25 foot Python at a boxing week sale. Filled the 20 gallon in no time at all.

One of the best aquarium purchases I've made

clk89
For me it was when we decided we couldn't have a cat or dog as a pet due to the apartment few years back. I started looking around for other pets, which is also when I started researching the different pets. I ended up first adopting guinea pigs, then later a gecko named Reggie. Our guinea pigs sadly died of old age, they were two years old already when adopted them from local rescue. I was in a pet store to get crickets for Reggie when I saw the betta fish. That was when I started my research on them. I got a lot of conflicting information, and I remembered how as a child I basically killed off several common goldfish and common pleco in a ten gallon.

I just didn't feel comfortable putting betta in an even smaller tank (1 gallon or less) that the store employees were trying to sell me, and when I went online I also felt 2.5 gallons looked awfully small. It wasn't until I found fishlore through a google search that I found others who owned betta in other sized tanks with filters and heaters. Actually Aquaphobia up there was one of the first people to say hello in my introduction post on fishlore and was excited about me wanting a betta. I read quite a few of Aquaphobia's posts on here until I decided to get a five gallon for my betta, and I bought my betta online. Later I upgraded Blue Water further into a ten gallon and gave her some nerite snail friends too. Quite a few other people helped me along the way too probably without even knowing it since I lurked a bit. For example, both CindiL and Texasdomer helped me to figure out fishless cycling. Bijou88 helped me out with snails and snail jello. Anders247, Al913, tyguy7760, chromedome52, and el337 just to name a few more....way too many to name all so if I missed you don't worry you aren't forgotten.

I've gotten help pretty much from everyone by now on fishlore and have sucessfully set up a ten gallon for Blue Water, a quarantine tank, as well as setting up a 40 gallon breeder which I am still slowly stocking so thanks everyone

Ayushman Singh
My turning point was when I got my python water changer 3 years ago! During my first year or so of fish keeping, I didn't do water changes as often as I should. Not even CLOSE. I don't even want to admit!! But the bucket method is exhausting!!

I also didn't have cories or rasboras in appropriate shoals/schools and my tanks were also way overstocked.

As a result of getting the python and having water changes be so easy...I ended up getting severe MTS and got a LOT more tanks (That first year I just had two 29s...)

Then I quickly added two 55s and it just exploded from there. Now I have 14 tanks.

Once I started getting more tank space, I got my first true shoal of cories, all one species. It made me understand that my different species of cories just "hanging out together" was NOT AT ALL The same as a shoal of all one species actually shoaling together. My harlequins went from being in a group of 3 in a 29 to a group of 15 in a 55....that was also an amazing change to see!!!

Basically, what I learned is that when fish are given the appropriate space AND the appropriate schools....they are MUCH MUCH more fun to watch! It's not that I didn't realize it was better for them.....but....I didn't really appreciate it until I experienced it first hand. A lot of people think their fish are perfectly happy. I thought mine were!! I truly did!!! I quickly learned otherwise once I started taking things much more seriously and saw what a TRULY happy fish looks like!!

So, then once my tanks started getting weekly water changes at minimum....my fish started breeding! Plecos and angels. So the water quality made a huge difference too. Obviously, since they began breeding!! LOL

EVERYTHING changed for me once I got that python!! My whole fishy world changed and my seriousness and appreciation of the hobby made a complete 180.

unfortunately, I am one that has to live and learn through experience. My mom says I am "un-coachable" LOL I'm 33 years old and she still tells me that. haha So people could tell me what is best or what should be done for my fish, but I didn't truly appreciate it until I saw the benefits first hand. Now it just makes me SICK to think about how poorly I cared for my fish during that first year-ish. The cool thing is I still have most of those fish from that first year They made it through my naïve and lazy period!!!

And NOW....I am definitely coachable....with my fish world anyway!! LOL I am all about getting advice and doing everything I can to give my fish the absolute best I can give them! They have cleaner environments than I do! Because all of my energy outside of my 9-5 is spent on their tanks!! LOL

I guess the other turning point was a direct result of the python....as stated...and that is the breeding of angelfish. My obsession with that has gotten a bit out of control! But I have the space I need to do it! And I am having a lot of fun with it!!
It's really nice to know your story and I follow your angel breeding journal and love your angel fishes they're all amazing and you really keep good care of them, I've begun a angel tank too few weeks ago and have 6 angels in it, it's a 55 gallon with not a lot but bit of plants and a good filter, that cycles 2 times my aquarium water in an hour with a Led flood light for lighting any tips on breeding them I really need some advice from you. thanks for sharing your story

bizaliz3
It's really nice to know your story and I follow your angel breeding journal and love your angel fishes they're all amazing and you really keep good care of them, I've begun a angel tank too few weeks ago and have 6 angels in it, it's a 55 gallon with not a lot but bit of plants and a good filter, that cycles 2 times my aquarium water in an hour with a Led flood light for lighting any tips on breeding them I really need some advice from you. thanks for sharing your story

Thanks for following along in my journey Congrats on your new angelfish tank. Feel free to PM me if you need any advice. The two tips I have right now are just to keep in mind that long term, 6 adult angels will be too much for a 55. I feel that 4 adults is the limit.

Also you said your filter cycles your 55 gallon two times per hour? So that would be approx. 110 gallons per hour? That is far too little for a 55. I like to shoot for 6-8 times per hour minimum. What kind of filter do you have? My 55s get almost 10 times per hour. I keep two filters running on each of them because I like having a back up filter on my bigger tanks.

Ayushman Singh
I have a top filter in it it is like a powerhead sucks water from the tank and sends it to a unit which sits inside the cover where it gets filtered via a sponge then falls from the top also the powerhead sends a bit water back in the tank too so the water keeps circulating, and ya I'm adding aquaphonics system to it too and as u said I'll increase the flowrate of my filter it can be adjusted for about 400 gph so I'll set it to max
Here's a link to my tanks pics etc New 55 gallon Angelfish Tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
PseudotropheusKenobi
Replies