turning off filter when feeding

1. willypct Initiate Member

I was told by a worker at my lfs to turn of my two canisters
    when ever I feed my fish and to leave them off until
    the fish consume most or all the food. he assure me that
    by doing this I will prevent the filters from sucking a great
    deal of the food and therefore saving on filter maintanance.
    what do you guys think of this(it does make some sense):;z:;

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you have to turn them off to feed, you are feeding too much...i have a few canisters and never have shut them off during feeding ...most of my foods are floating foods except for my sinking pellets

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like to me. I've never turned off a filter for anything but my regular cleaning & I've never heard of anyone else doing it either. The fish would be disoriented by the sudden loss of circulation in the tank. Unless your dramatically over feeding your fish, turning off the filter won't help in the slightest IMO.

4. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

sounds like mumbo jumbo to me.

5. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Never heard of that b4. If i turned mine off all the top feeders would ruck with each other competing for food as the flow moves the flake around the tank allowing all too feed less hassled.

6. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like that dude over feeds so he does that to stop all the extra from being sucked up. Go back and teach him a thing! Haha.

7. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

i agree turning off when feeding is a bad idea. if you don't want the food to be sucked up try and feed away from the filter intake.

8. David C Well Known Member Member

I turn my filter down on my betta tank to keep the food from moving around too fast for him to keep up with it, but definitely not off.

Dave

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning.

I do not turn my filters off during feeding time. Regular filter maintenance is part of the aquarium hobby. This is why I use filter floss (quilting batting material from the craft department at WalMart) and discard it weekly. I do some things a bit different from many members but it works for me :)

I don't depend on the floss for biological purposes. By discarding the floss helps to remove the access waste that may have accumulated during the week. Let me state too that I have soooo much bio/filter media in all of my filters to maintain my cycle I don't need the floss for that purpose. Too, my filter bio media is very well established, many, many years old :)

Long story short, if you forget to turn your filters back on chances are you may have even bigger problems like losing your cycle. Do your filter maintenance and everything should be fine :) Without proper filter maintenance the flow output will be reduced over time. The filter will clog eventually. Remember to rinse your bio media in siphoned tank water only! :)

Have a Happy New Year! (oh no! I don't see any Happy New Year Smiley's!)
    Ken