Turning off air pump

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I leave mine running. Any particular reason you are considering turning it off?

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was just curious. I've been turning off the pump for my 5 gallon tank, but leaving my other tanks running. Got a top fin for the 5 gallon & its kind of noisey. I've got it hanging from a shelf because it would walk across the top of my desk.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

As long as you have sufficient surface water movement, and you're not over stocked, then I don't see that it would hurt to turn off the air pump.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good advice there from Ken. If the pump keeps going walkabout, put a small square of double sided tape or a loop of duct tape on each of it's feet then stick it to a mouse pad. That will keep it in place & shut it up.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mine's is noisy too, but my filter agitates the surface water so I can turn mine off at night alright. They have bubbles for well over 12 hours each day, so overnight they're OK with just the filter disturbance.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good advice there from Ken. If the pump keeps going walkabout, put a small square of double sided tape or a loop of duct tape on each of it's feet then stick it to a mouse pad. That will keep it in place & shut it up.
thanks for this advice, Graeme! I haven't been able to figure out how to get mine to be quieter.

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My air pump was quite noisy as well, but not noticable over the noise of two Tetra 30-60 HOB's on my 75 tank. After I dumped the Tetra 30-60's for a Fluval 405, I really noticed the air pump. Then I added a 2nd air stone and connected it to the capped off 2nd port on the air pump and now I don't hear it. I imagine if I had bothered to read the directions, I would have known not to plug that 2nd port.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom