Turning Freshwater Tank To Low End Brackish Help

1. Raymond Taylor

Raymond Taylor Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so i got a 20 long with a 2-3 inch GSP puffer in it (do start about tank size needed and what not. he is small so for now this tank will work, i will upgrade him when he needs it) its freshwater right now. but i want to start changing it to brackish, the thing is idk how much sea salt i need to use to get it done. i have a 1gal tank i can mix the water and salt in. but idk how much, also my GSP looks to have ick on him to and thats why i want to move him to brachish ASAP. i also made a video u can see my puffer in and what im talking about in this post.

2. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You'll need about 3-4 cups of marine salt mix for your 20 gallons. Or about 0.0025 relative specific gravity for every cup to 20 gallons. You can slowly add the salt 1 cup each day to ease the transition. Juvenile GSPs need about 1.008sg. As they mature they'll need a full marine environment of at least 1.019sg. Do your GSP a favor and buy a salinity refractometer. It's more accurate than hydrometers and easy to use. They are cheap nowadays and even the chinese made ones aren't too bad at all.

About the ick, it's quite a common sight among new and stressed fish. If you have a well cycled and comfortable environment for your fish ick usually goes away on its own in a week or two. If it gets worse or doesn't go away then you may have to do some heat treatment procedures, and take care not to overdo it. You mentioned in the video that the puffers you get usually die. Puffers need a very cycled tank and your current filters may not be doing enough of a job. I'd recommend Sunsun canisters if you are budget conscious and they can hold a lot of media. I'd also recommend mechanical filtration on the bottom tray with sponge coarse, then floss fine pads. Then Seachem Matrix, Fluval Biomax, or Biohome filling the rest of all trays.

3. OP
    OP
    Raymond Taylor

Raymond Taylor Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    alright. i've added about 5-6 cups of salt already. the hydromters doesnt show any thing. but it seems like the ick is going away (i think) i dont see as meany white spots as i did. i am think im geting a heater that i can change the temp on and keep the tanks temp aroun 80F or so.

4. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I guess I should have mentioned that hydrometers can be quite unreliable. The needle must be stuck somehow. Replace that hydrometer with a proper salinity refractometer. I just saw some on ebay going as low as $11.35 shipped. Your water should be in the high brackish range now, maybe about 1.015sg. Two more cups and you're officially within saltwater salinity. Careful adding too much salinity too quickly. Your nitrogen cycle might reset and you'll get ammonia/nitrite spikes.