Turning A Tetra Tank To A Cichlid Tank Question

1. SpeedyFish

SpeedyFish Member Member

Next month I will be moving and decided to turn my tetra tank into an African cichlid tank. Right now I have a 46 gallon tank with a 406 fluval canister filter. I will get some rock for decorations later.

This will be my first time getting African Cichlids after having tetras for many years. I'm afraid that the size of my tank i'm limited on the type and the amount of fish i can have. For example yellow lab cichlids I will only be able to get a small amount like 3 or 4.

With the current setup will I be able to setup an african cichlid tank? I'm unable to get a larger tank because the setup f the new apartment.

What other small colorful cichlids should I look at?

Regards,

2. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Member Member

You could look at a more peaceful tank and maybe go with dwarf cichlids and bottom feeders. I have a breeding pair of electric blue ram cichlids in my tank. They are beautiful but only grow to about 2.5 inches.

3. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

What about shell dwellers? They are small and African. It’s pretty adorable that they live in shells.

4. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Member Member

I’ve never had them but that would be a good option as well

5. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

SpeedyFish Member Member

Shell Dwellers are cute little guys, my first time seeing them. Many times I been to different LFS and never seen those fish before.

6. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

So look at mbunas. That's the rock/shell dwelling cichlids of lake malawi. I think you will like them. Cichlid keeping is a rewarding headache they get territorial even with the peaceful ones. Numbers are important as well as genders and numbers.

7. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Member Member

I’ve never had them either, but i have thought about it. I went the apistogramma route. I adore them. They are also a good consideration if you are not set on cichlids from Africa.

8. OP
    OP
    SpeedyFish

SpeedyFish Member Member

I was at a restaurant picking up some food and I seen some cichlids some were yellow, some were blue, and some were multi colored. I noticed they had a bunch of them in there.

I was possibly looking at either yellow lab cichlids or Pseudotropheus saulosi. I would like the Pseudotropheus saulosi better because atleast the males are different color. Would either work for my tank? If so how many can I have?