Turning a 5.5 into a brackish for milky fry and shrimp?

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by kidster9700, Jul 8, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

So I recently learned mollies do well as brackish fish! I have 15 milky fry in a 5.5 and was thinking of converting it to brackish, however I also wanted to make it into a shrimp tank combo. Do most freshwater shrimp do okay in brackish? What about mystery snails? Or should I keep it freshwater with fry and shrimp? If I keep it freshwater I can also use it for platy fry.
    When I say grow out tank I mean grow until they are 1/2inch in length and can be transferred to a tank with other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

That should say "Molly" not milky.... My phone is not smart.

3. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't try freshwater shrimp in a brackish tank. Get some Hawaiian volcano shrimp if you want brackish shrimp.

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well aren't Amano and ghost shrimp only able to breed in brackish tanks? So why wouldn't they work? And is there a list of brackish invertebrates on this site?

5. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Ghosts don't need brackish to breed although they may tolerate brackish water for a time depending on the species. And while Amano larvae require brackish water I'm fairily sure they need to be in freshwater within a few days of reaching the stage of their development when they actually resemble shrimp.

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well I know ghosts don't NEED it to breed as I have had mine breed in freshwater tanks. So it sounds to me like it's probably better to not convert it to brackish then.

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't convert it to brackish unless you intend to keep them brackish from now on. There is little benefit to the fry to be in brackish versus freshwater, so unless your intending to raise a brackish tank...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice