Turning A 46g Bow Into A 120g Rect.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by H2O Concierge, May 15, 2019.

1. H2O Concierge

H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Currently in a 46g bow I have 2x Frontosa, 1 x Blue Moorii (Dolphin), 1x J. Transcriptus, 1x Auratus, 1x Featherfin Synod., and 2x orange Leleupi. IMG_8377. Well now that I have SOMEWHAT scaped & setup the 120g (yes there is egg crate under the rocks). I have questions about moving the stock. I am running an established Tidal 110 & an Eheim 2275. I found a deal on a new Eheim 2078 and it's on the way. I just don' think the advantages of an inline heater out weight the disadvantages so I have opted to go traditional. Normally I would add just 1 or 2 fish at a time, but usually I am talking about less than 6" of fish. The Blue Moorii (Dolphin) & the med. Frontosa together are about 11". All the fish have setup territories in the 46g and I and worried that if I just transfer a couple fish at a time there will be much aggression each time I introduce a new fish into the new tank. Should I tx the smaller fish first and then the larger ones? Some threads suggest to add all fish at once to avoid this. But wouldn't that cause the 120g water parameters to spike? I am also anxious about netting these. Suggestions? Here is the 120g (WORK IN PROGRESS). IMG_8375. By the way this is what my Am, Nitrite, & Nitrate look like this morning.
    Do you think I am almost ready? Should I do a partial WC ? IMG_8383.

2. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +434
    Experience:
    4 years
    I would add all at once. Going from a 46 to a 120 gives a lot of room for the water parameters to be ok . Maybe add some stability To give a little bb boost. You will have less territorial issues al at once.

3. OP
    OP
    H2O Concierge

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you think the 120g's water is ready?

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Move the current filter media (or filters and media) over to the new tank for a couple if weeks until the tank is established?

5. OP
    OP
    H2O Concierge

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The filters have been transferred for about 4 days and here is what Am-Nitrite-Nitrate looks like (left to right). Do you think it's ready for fish? I could add some substrate from the established 46g. IMG_8513 2.

6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,045
    Experience:
    2 years
    You look like your cycled I think a WC will bring down your nitrates . And as the above said the larger tank should clear that what appears to be a tiny trace of ammonia... tanks look great btw!!

7. OP
    OP
    H2O Concierge

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    We are in agreement then. Thanks. I get nervous when I tx fish especially this many at one time. How gig a WC do you think 25% ? What kind of pups do you have? Is one of them a Boxer? IMG_8514.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,045
    Experience:
    2 years
    What does it look like your nitrates are reading? 20-40? If it was mine I would do 50% . But if you want to wait for others to chime in to get other suggestions that’s fine too.

9. TucanSam

TucanSamValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    1 year
    That looks closer to 40 to me. Either way a bigger than necessary wc won't hurt. I'd do 50+%

10. OP
    OP
    H2O Concierge

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Is that a Wombat! Ya I did do a 30% change. A few hours later and it looks a little more orange. Guess it's back to the Python and pump. My Tap is 5 ppm NO3 so I feel blessed if I my tanks are 40ppm or below. I am beginning to think that NO3 is coming from the canisters even though I have cleaned them less than 4 weeks ago. I usually don't usually run Purigen in my planted tanks but perhaps it's time put some in the Tidal 110. It is all new substrate, so that's not the issue. I did lightly plant it with Flourish tabs.

11. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,609
    Experience:
    1 year
    @H2O Concierge , the new tank is looking good.

Post more pics once all the fish are moved over.

Also, if you dont mind, will you post pics of your 2078 in the "Filters" section when you set it up?

Im curious as to how large the bottom void space is below the bottom tray, and how large the 4 trays are. Also, when you got time, could you also comment on your thoughts about general construction quality, ease of set up, flow rates and how well the electronic flow control works!

Were you able to score the $50 store credit promo?

I am hoping they bring back that promo since Memorial Day is approaching. I may pick one up. I couldn't pull the trigger on it yesterday. Ha!

12. TucanSam

TucanSamValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    1 year
    It's a Quokka, you should look them up!

I've had success with purigen in a lightly planted tank. I'd think it would help.

13. OP
    OP
    H2O Concierge

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I didn't want to take the chance of them selling out before Labor Day. Yes I got the $50. promo, unsure whether it will come as a gift card or will be applied when I place my next order. That brought the cost of filter down to $150. I figured even if the electronic fails in a couple years I still have a good filter. Man those are lot of requests...It almost reads like a "hunny do list". LOL o_O. No problem. I'll give it an eval. You wouldn't happen to be a rep. for Eheim? It will be more than a week before I will receive it. Do you want measurements in mm or inches?;) Once I get the creatures settled in their new home I'll post pics. Thanks for asking. Ya I used to use the saying "pull the trigger" when referring to making a decision or getting around to doing something...But these days you just don't know what kind of reaction your going to get. Your :cool:.
    Ok, so in goes the Purigen. #quokkaselfie . Sounds like an interesting creature. Australia is such a fascinating place it has so many different ecosystems and one of a kind animals. It would be nice to visit the barrier reef before it's all bleached.:(

14. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Highly reccomend purigen! Works great, and really has cleared up tannins in one of my tanks until it 'ran out'and needed to be recharged.

Australias great barrier reef is still doing great in a number of places, excluding the dumping sites and the far north. Many areas in the southern section aren't affected by the bleaching event, so you still have your chance! :)

It's beautiful, highly would reccomend. Would also reccomend the Western Australian reef, it's a lot less visited but still rather pretty. I unfortunately didn't get to see it as well as the great barrier, but the water is beautiful! :)

15. Islandvic

Ratings:
    +1,609
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ha, not a rep. That would be a great side job though!

Lol, if you can post a couple of pics and just advise if it's built and performs like a $200 canister should, that would be great.

Not trying to assign homework, ha.

More like a thumbs up or down.

I dislike buying things sight unseen.

I may buy my friend's 150g, and considering filtration options.

16. OP
    OP
    H2O Concierge

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I am glad that there is still Hope and time for some of the treasures of this earth to be enjoyed. There is one very important thing that I learned about Purigen that others had learned the hard way. My Ph was 8.5 and I put 2 recharged and dechlorinated bags of Purigen into my Tidal 110 HOB. I checked 4 hours later the PH had dropped to 5.0. Luckily it was a fishless tank. I hadn't used Purigen for awhile and had forgotten to do the last step of conditioning it with a PH Buffer. My NO3 came down so I believe today is the day that the Tanganyikans move into to their new furnished one bathroom-10 bedroom home.

17. OP
    OP
    H2O Concierge

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If it doesn't stop raining soon he might need to use it for a boat. :) Counting the days till I get the 2078. I have 2 Live Aquaria Promo coupon codes for you..."199FOR50" (till 5/29) & 7808668 (20% off of $225. till 5/27).

18. Islandvic

Ratings:
    +1,609
    Experience:
    1 year
  19. OP
    OP
    H2O Concierge

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can't use both coupon codes together.