Question Turn hot tub into pond?

JADE8521

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience making a no longer in use hot tub into a pond? Any info will be appreciated.
I’m in sw Fl so weather should be good for it. It is in a screened patio. I’m not new to freshwater tanks. I’ve never had a pond.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds like a cool idea... as long as it’s sterilized I would think it would b fine but wait for others to chime in... will u be burying it in your yard or leaving it in tour screen room? What’s the size of it? Pics?

OP
J

JADE8521

Reaction score
It is 67" X 67" and 27" at the deepest (just a bit in the center) I think it calculated to 160 gallons. I do want to leave it in the screened room, then birds won't eat the fish and no leaves can clog it up. I don't think I can post a picture from my desktop. The hot tub is old, but has no leaks. I am in South West Florida, I don't know why it said Saltwater. I'm hoping to make a freshwater pond out of it. A waterfall and pump with filter could probably work. I thought I'd need to plug up the jets to keep algae from growing.

C8F48E45-BEC8-4C56-9B5E-14E0A4F6F9FD.jpeg

So here is a picture of it, it’s in pretty good shape. I think I’d enjoy a waterfall & fish more. Any hints or ideas for me??

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JADE8521 said:
So here is a picture of it, it’s in pretty good shape. I think I’d enjoy a waterfall & fish more. Any hints or ideas for me??
I would 1000% go for it if it was me. Really nice colour too. Make sure it's properly cleaned out and yeah, I'd plug up the jets. Good idea keeping it in the screened room as it'll be easier to control everything.

I think a waterfall would look nice... Are you going with a canister filter?

I know it's super early, but I'm one to think super ahead... :p If this does work out, what stocking are you thinking of doing? And are you planning on doing some aqua scaping on it too? That would really compliment the waterfall...

Definitely following. Keep us updated.

OP
J

JADE8521

Reaction score
Ok, so I’m m on this forum to learn from more experienced fish keepers. I’m sure I’ll need a good external filter. Are the canisters the way to go? Should I go to a garden store for the waterfall & should that just be separate from the filter’s pump? I want happy fish once it’s all said & done. Any ideas on stocking it once it’s up & ready. I am thinking of sealing off the jets with Marine safe silicone, any problems with that?

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't have a hot tub pond, but I do have a bath tub pond. I patched every hole with stainless steel and silicone. I left a little room on the top hole as an overflow in case it rained too much. I made my own filter (using a pump) and waterfall, then put a lot of flower pots around it. I'd say for that big of a pond, a canister would be good and then you could make a waterfall with the outflow :)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sunflower said:
I don't have a hot tub pond, but I do have a bath tub pond. I patched every hole with stainless steel and silicone. I left a little room on the top hole as an overflow in case it rained too much. I made my own filter (using a pump) and waterfall, then put a lot of flower pots around it. I'd say for that big of a pond, a canister would be good and then you could make a waterfall with the outflow :)
That also sounds cool do u have any pics to share?
As far as a filter I would probably go with an fx6 maybe you could use 2 of the holes as the intake and return? For the intake maybe you can attach a piece of pvc to extend along the bottom and the return maybe you can add a spray bar with a drilled piece of over and even have a couple of the holes pointing upward to have like a fountain effect . Just a couple thought.

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kallililly1973 said:
That also sounds cool do u have any pics to share?
As far as a filter I would probably go with an fx6 maybe you could use 2 of the holes as the intake and return? For the intake maybe you can attach a piece of pvc to extend along the bottom and the return maybe you can add a spray bar with a drilled piece of over and even have a couple of the holes pointing upward to have like a fountain effect . Just a couple thought.
I'll get some pictures today and make my own thread so I don't take over OP's thread :)

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom