Turn a half gallon jar into a walstad tank?

jkkgron2

I’ve been looking into walstad tanks and I think I have most of the supplies to do one. I have this nice little jar that’s somewhere between 1/4 gallon and 1/2 gallon. Here’s the list of things I’m getting, I also have a few questions.

what I have:
1. A never been used jar that’s somewhere between 1/4-1/2 gallon size. I’m going to say it’s 1/4 of a gallon so that I can make sure whatever I get fits in it.

2. Black diamond blasting sand to cap the dirt

What I need:
Aquascaping tools
Organic potting soil
Some very tiny plants
And a few snails to help eat the algae.

Now, onto the questions.
What plants would be best to put in it? I have the option to take them out and put them in a different tank so size isn’t much of an issue as long as it won’t outgrow my tank extremely quick.

Any inverts I could put in there? I’m planning on Malaysian trumpet snails to help stir up the substrate but I’m wondering if there’s some type of shrimp I could put in there?

Best potting soil? I have no idea what to use..

Thanks!

kattiq

Look at this video from one of our fellow FL members. I plan on doing one of them soon as well! SnookusFish
As far as plants go, I am planning on doing some stem plants and moss with just shrimp.
I think any organic potting soil is good. Doesn't matter the brand.

Upvote 0

SnookusFish

You will want some fine leafed stem plants, fine leafed so the jar looks bigger, also as many floaters as possible, and then really just whatever plants you like, i used marsilea hirsuta in the foreground.
Get some snails that will clean tge glass, it will be difficult to do that manually. My ramshorns keep the jar and plants spotless. Im not sure about shrimp in a 1/4gallon might not want to risk it.
Miracle grow organic potting soil is the most recommended. I used another that i just had instead. Good luck!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Thanks for the video and suggestions! I’m currently looking at a 1 gallon bowl, jar, or tank. I think I might get a bowl because they’re easier to clean.

Upvote 0

timfulmer

Thanks for the video and suggestions! I’m currently looking at a 1 gallon bowl, jar, or tank. I think I might get a bowl because they’re easier to clean.
Oh, I just put together something like this a several weeks ago! The dwarf hairgrass kind of took over, but it’s been pretty low maintenance. Ran it w/o lights for a couple weeks after adding plants to let the plants root, after that it got a bit murky for a few days, then added light and the whole thing just took off. This is about 5” of substrate, half amended garden dirt on bottom and half planted tank substrate on top. Little bit of algae I had to twirl out with a bamboo skewer, have not done any water changes. Started w/ RO water and a touch of shrimp salt to balance out the ph.

25BD2373-08B0-4A49-AA3A-02C07A8FDC74.jpeg
Here’s a week after it was first started, just after adding plants

0B8A5DB5-F12D-4487-A2A5-8F830ED7B361.jpeg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
Bianca2008