Turbo snail died after 10 days. Why?

Waterwahine

I bought a Mexican turbo snail about ten days ago. It was fine for the first week and then it slowly got more sluggish over the past 3 days until it went to the big tank in the sky this morning. He was always less active than my other turbo, who makes at least two laps around the tank every day. This guy had a good day if he made it halfway across the tank.

I have a 3-gallon nano tank with another turbo (which I've had for about two months with no problems), a staghorn crab, and a strawberry shrimp. Tank is around three months old. My parameters are as follows:

Nitrates: 0-5.0
pH: 7.8-8.0
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0-2.5
Calcium: 420 ppm
Temperature: 79-80 degrees

I added a 50 watt heater a few days ago (about the time he started to get even more sluggish). Everyone else perked up, but he slowed down.

Any ideas? I realize these guys are cheap, but I'd rather not kill more animals than I have to. Thanks!

Angelfish lover 01

You could have had an ammonia spike in a tank that small.

Coradee

Thread moved to Saltwater snail forum

Waterwahine

My ammonia reading was from yesterday. Last Friday when I took the ammonia reading, it was the same (0-0.25). it's also reading the same today. When you say "spike" do you mean within 24 hours? I've heard levels are harder to keep in a nano tank, but I have no idea whether hourly spikes are possible, and if so, if they could kill things. Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fanatic
5 Gallon Tank New tank mates
Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies
Views
Stang Man
Replies