Turbo CO2 Bio System-- ever used this?

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Orion5, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

No, but that looks very interesting. Only things I don't see are a bubble counter and a flow valve. I'm not sure how you would measure the output of CO2 without either of those things.

3. OP
    OP
    Orion5

I was wondering about how to regulate the flow as well once you mentioned it... I really don't think it comes with one, but is a flow valve something I could attach separately, I wonder?

4. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

From what I have read about it, when I was considering it, is that it is a manufactured version of the DIY CO2 system using sugar and yeast. Actually that is what I understand their refills to be made up of. From the picture it looks like the system will still release pressure over night into the tank, but without the impellers breaking up the bubbles there wouldn't be much of an effect on CO2 levels overnight. I've never used it, so I could be completely wrong about it.

5. RogueAgent94

Yeah, you'd have to turn it off at night.

The powerhead has to have an impeller in it or else it wouldn't run right.

6. OP
    OP
    Orion5

chevyguy: I'm pretty sure you're right. I like the "cleanliness" of it compared to most DIY systems. I think the complexity of CO2 injection is what turns many people off heavily planted tanks... This one seemed nice & simple.

Maybe I'll try it to see if the marimo balls will grow faster. :)

7. plug

plug Well Known Member Member

I have seen those at Big Al's...I ended up buying the Fluval one which was nicer but double the price...hopefully I can figure out a way to get air gun co2 cannisters hooked up to that unit

8. RogueAgent94

Marimo do not grow with increase of CO2. Nor do they grow faster with more ferts. On the contrary they begin to die and fall apart.

9. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

That's the same kit I have. It's just a sugar/yeast reactor. For refills, just use sugar and yeast. I use their measuring stuff (little yeast container, and sugar container), but not their refill kits. Why pay that much for stuff you get at the grocery store for next to nothing :;sh

Pro's - clean, professional looking, the powerhead is a great addition for diffusion and dispersion of CO2 bubbles.

Con's - canister is solid white, so you can't see the reaction level inside. If you have the power head on a timer, it can get a rattle up when it starts as the powerhead fills with gas when off.

Whilst you don't necessarily need one, adding a bubble counter is easy, there's plenty on the market. I would always recommend adding a bubble counter to a DIY system (it is essentially DIY), as the water helps trap some of the gunk from the reaction, allowing only CO2 gas into the aquarium.

Flow control valves are a dime a dozen ;)

10. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

Its more fun to just build your own diy co2 :)
    It really is the same thing, I guess that isn't a bad price if it comes with the power head and your to lazy to build a diy co2:)

11. ryanr

Too lazy ???? :;sh
    Respectfully M0T0, that's a big call. I'm by no means a lazy person. I purchased the unit because, aesthetically, it is much more pleasing to me, and matches the quality equipment I have.

Some people are DIY'ers, others are not. Nothing I could do myself would look as good as the professionally built system I purchased. I prefer my equipment to look the part, and DIY just doesn't do it for me. Laziness is not a factor.....

12. OP
    OP
    Orion5

I'm completely on the same page as Ryan here. I love DIY stuff when I have the appropriate space for it, to fiddle with things, but otherwise I like to keep the space around the aquarium as appealing as possible. Mostly for the same reasons, because the tanks are in a space that's, well, nice looking. :) This little unit seems to be inoffensive visually and if you say it works well too, I'm all in. :) Thanks for the feedback!

Rogue: Thanks for letting me know. I forgot about this.. :(

13. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

Ok sorry to say Lazy, please don't take offense to it,
    All I meant by it was that diy is super easy and fun experience, I didn't try to outwardly call some one lazy, all I meant buy it was that its really easy and fun to diy,
    If I had the extra money was going for looks I would definitely buy it probably worth it for just the power head it comes with, I wasn't trying to downgrade this product simply stating that its is basically the exact same thing as a diy kit.

I agree that visually nicer to look at, But you could always put check valves and have the diy under your tank just saying heh.

14. RogueAgent94

;D That's my job! Sooo......... when do we get to see pictures!?

15. OP
    OP
    Orion5

:) Ugh.. hopefully within the next year. I'm still on the road and never home, so taking care of tanks is a problem. That's why I'm going to stick with algae at the moment. :)

16. ryanr

Not in my situation :p Tank is on my desk, not an aquarium stand, hence aesthetics are important ;)
    On a stand, where I could hide it in the cabinet, I would go DIY.

Oh, and rather than a powerhead, if you have a canister filter, you can push the reaction tube into the intake strainer, and let the bubbles go into the canister, and let it chop up and diffuse bubbles. CO2 stays in the water longer, and when it comes out the spray bar, you get great dispersion of bubbles throughout the tank.

17. OP
    OP
    Orion5

Good point! Thanks Ryan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice