Tunnel idea

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Mer-max, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

So I came up with an idea to make tunnels for my bgk since he likes caves so much. Hear me out and feel free to make suggestions before I mess up lol.

I plan on taking 3-4 inch PVC pipe and cutting it in half lengthwise, heat it up with a torch and put some curves/bends - also using 45 degree pieces as well.

Then I wanna use silicone and coat it and roll it in rocks and whatnot.

( what silicone is ok for tanks?)

I figure I could do two tunnels halfway across length of tank one in front and on the otherside in the back so ill still have room for plants.

I plan on full picture updates.

Thoughts, ideas???

2. aquatic

aquaticValued MemberMember

Sounds like a cool idea!

As for silicone, I see people on here say to just be sure it doesn't have any additives such as mildew killers as it'll leach into the water. If I remember they say GE 1.

3. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ge1? Lol the only silicone I know is rtv red and rtv blue. Lol, we'll the regular clear and black stuff. Automotive mostly. Where could I find some?

Thanks, btw!

4. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Some.places should sell aquarium safe silicone, hardware stores etc. just make sure it has cures (gone hard) completely. And yes, no mould killers etc...

5. aquatic

aquaticValued MemberMember

I think Home Depot/Lowes and places like walmart sell the large tubes of it that you can put into a caulking gun, but fish stores (PetSmart, Petco, or LFS) sell the small tubes of silicone.

6. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

As a plumber I've had to torch out broken off threads and whatnot and the fumes it puts off when torched are really nasty, just something to think about. Also, 3-4" schedule 40 pvc would take quite alot of torching to get to a bendable state, Imo you'd be better off just using actual fittings. If you look at the pvc fittings used for waste you can get as small of a bend as 22 1/2* or 1/16 bend.

7. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Matt I've got some thin perforated 4" left from doing my field lines on my septic tank. It wasn't schedule 40. Thanks for the tip. Ill be outside so ill be good. I'm in a 55 long so I can't put a lot of bend, I'm just trying to flatten a little and some spots and make it not all the same the whole piece.

8. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

When I did mine, I took a couple of 4" PVC elbows and siliconed them together. After they cured, I spread silicone over the top and rolled it in gravel and put it in the tank after it dried completely. It made a really neat "C" shaped tunnel that the cories loved to swim through. I got the silicone at Lowe's. Can't remember the name, but it came in a tube and said it was aquarium safe. I think it cost around $3 for the tube.

9. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ill check lowes - thank you. I'm not sure I can do the angles so sharp though. I know my knifey ( yes that's his name ) is gunna get pretty big and while he hits some corners good now I want a permanent fix - not a temp.

10. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I use aquarium brand silicone you can get at most stores. The way i see it, the sharks and knife are gonna need a 150 pretty soon anyways so the PVC only has to be big enough to move him until the upgrade, 4" is pretty good for that, for an adult i would think 6" would work better. They can get pretty fat and you have account for the bichir and sharks and possibly FFcat wanting in on the caves too.

11. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Feather is moving after a new tank cycles, sharks are no longer there. It's just gunna be knifey and the bichir. I don't see 6" working. I'm going 4" and digging out the sand from underneath to make it more roomy. Probably be my pink gourami too. Few fish, plants lot. : )

12. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Knife would still need a upgrade though? Minimum for an adult is 100gals. Good to hear about the sharks i suppose(leviathans that they become, YIKES). I think in that case the 4" is the way to go, just be careful of course.

13. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Some PVC gives off hydrogen cyanide when burned. Just thought I'd put that out there ;D

14. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I respect and love all species of catfish. Not only have they brought us joy to watch, I've found spawning holes swimming, they've fed my family when money was tight. Theyve actually been a strong backbone in my existence. They are no doubt one of the most interesting types of fish.

15. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Thanks nut - ill make sure my co workers inhale deeply lol

16. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Have you tried a ghost house? It's supposed to provide the security while still being visible.

17. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

All I could find was hamster tubes and they weren't that big. Plus I like the idea of letting him burrow under the sand and coming out for food

18. bibbster

bibbsterNew MemberMember

You can also use a heat gun. My neighbor, an electrician, uses one to make custom bends in plastic electrical conduit, the big industrial thick walled conduit. I did this on a piece of 2" conduit that ran under my boardwalk where the ground and boardwalk had shifted causing a hump. Heated up the conduit with the heat gun then stood on it and poured cool water on it to set it.

19. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I don't know what your calling a heat gun. Ima just use an acetylene torch and not blast the o2.

20. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

What kinna cichlid is in yer pic?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice