Tumors In Swordtail Female

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by kcfd450, Apr 17, 2018.

1. k

kcfd450 New Member Member

I'm new to the forum, and looking for some help with one of my female swordtails.
    I recently noticed one of my female swordtails acting sick after a pregnancy. I had 2 pregnant at the same time and have found fry in the tank, but I'm not sure which these belong to. I first noticed some red spots on her belly then noticed what looked like bruising near the gravid spot. She was staying at the bottom and did not try to avoid the net when I moved her into quarantine.
    I have been treating her with Melafix. She is now swimming around and the red spots seem to be healing and the bruising seems to be getting better.
    Now I am noticing white lumps under her skin. Could these be scare tissue from some damage done by another fish? Maybe some kind of parasites?
    I also read online, some live bearing fish will hold off giving birth due to stress and die. Could this have something to do with any internal injuries?

20180416_170708.jpg 20180416_170056.jpg
    Tank info:
    70 gallon planted tank
    PH-7.4
    0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20 nitrate
    1 comet goldfish, 4 neon swordtails (2 male, 2 female) a pleco and a few snails

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fish lore!!!

3. OP
    OP
    k

kcfd450 New Member Member

Unfortunately the lumps have not gotten any better. Today I noticed that the left side of her head is turning dark. I'm at a loss for what to do with her, im going to need the quarantine tank soon. I'm planing to get another female or two to go into the main tank to take some stress off the female in there. If anyone has seen this before and has a suggestion please let me know.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice