Tumor?

1. Sarcastic Member Member

Its been a while since I've been around, the work/school/family groove is running the show these days ... I like what y'all have done with the place. When I get a respite I need to have a look around.

To refresh memories on my personal facts, I have five "red hook" silver dollars in a 46 gallon tank with a handful of cories to liven up the place. The youngest of the silver dollars is 4 years old, the eldest is 6. The tank has been remarkable stable for months (pH of 6.5, nitrates in the teens & twenties, 0 ammonia/nitrite issues, but admittedly I ran out of the stuff I was using to monitor water hardness so I'm out of touch with gH and kH), despite the fact that I am only getting in a 30% water change every other week (as opposed to weekly, which I managed to do religiously up until this most recent semester when things got out of hand).

It looks like one of my fish has developed a tumor right in front of the anal fin on the bottom. I am attaching a picture. Ignore the yellowish spot, that's just a trick of the light.

As you may be able to see, everything else looks good on this guy and his compatriots - eyes are clear, scales are pretty and shiny (minus the humeral spots which I've long since ignored since they've been around for some years now). From what I can tell this isn't "leaking" or a pustule, but I'm asking - has anyone seen something like this? I'd be bummed to lose a fish, but if this is going to get infectious, I'd rather sacrifice one than watch it take over and infect them all.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Maybe if I don't hear from anyone I'll repost this at a different level of the forum.

Attached Files:

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

A tumor or just a cycst it's hard to tell.
    As long as he's acting and eating normally I don't think there's much you can do.
    Hopefully he'll live a full long life. :)

3. Sarcastic Member Member

Thanks for the reply. So far his behavior is normal, though today the cyst developed a red tinge along the bottom.... :( .... any other thoughts would be appreciated.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hopefully someone who knows more about these things will see this post today.

5. toosie Well Known Member Member

It's very round so it is likely as Lucy says, a tumor or a cyst. It sounds like it may be starting to get inflamed or infected so you could try netting the fish and swabbing just that spot with a Q-tip dipped in either peroxide or a malachite green and water solution to see if it helps. It doesn't look like it would be anything infectious so you could swab it and put the fish back into his home tank. No need to quarantine I don't think. Make sure you don't get any of the solution on the fish's gills or eyes, but the spot seems to be far enough away that that shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

Keep the water really clean and soak their food in some garlic juice to help him fight off any infection that maybe trying to set in.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like its right by the fishes anus no?

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Thanks for pointing that out SolarKnight. I was looking at the white dot on the fish. I see the lump now. Personally I would just keep my eye on it and see what happens. There really isn't much, if anything, that you can do for tumors and cysts under the skin. As long as the fish is swimming upright and eating, I would simply let nature take it's course. If you see a decline in the fishes health then Euthanasia may be something to consider. If it gets to that point, there is information below on Euthanasia:
    Methods of Euthanasia

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken

9. Sarcastic Member Member

Thanks for the replies all. It is indeed on the edge of the anal fin/near the anus. The fish continues to behave normally, so I'm just adding melaflix (placebo or not) and hoping for the best. I'm doing a second water change this week tonight as well.

I'll have a look at those links later, aquarist48.

10. toosie Well Known Member Member

Ah, Ken, I'm guilty of looking at that white spot too. :( Good eye soltarianknight.

Best wishes for your fish Sarcastic.

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

If its by the anus its possible that it may just be inflammation, ive seen it in my goldbarbs when they get constipated or eat something they shouldnt. It can also mean parasites.

12. Sarcastic Member Member

I really, really hope it isn't parasites .... sounds like that would be infectious and a problem for the other fish. I guess maybe the parasites could have been hanging around in the tank until the fish ate a piece of driftwood that aggravated his intestines? Does that kind of thing make sense? I haven't added fish in a long time.

The update of the day is everyone seems to swimming fine and no other fish are showing any signs of lumps, so that's good news. The bump on the fish seems more irritated (scales kind of standing up), and there is some reddish tint to the bottom of the fish so maybe it is anal inflammation and will pass naturally. Here's to hoping that's the case.

Again, thanks for all the thoughts on this.

13. Sarcastic Member Member

Just a final note on this, the lump hasn't entirely vanished, but everyone in the tank still seems fine - so I'm not panicking about this anymore. I added Melaflix for a week just out of precaution, and have got back on my weekly water change cycle. I think I can just let this rest for now ...

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I'm glad to hear that your fish is still hanging in there and that you have increased your tank maintenance. :)

Ken