Tumor On Betta

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I think my eldest female betta has a tumor on her side, which seems to be altering her swimming performance and changing her actions. I feel really bad for her, she struggles to swim correctly, and it takes her a lot of effort to get up to the surface for eating or breathing. What can I do to make it easier on her? I thought about lowering the water level, but moving her to another container with a different filter. Its easier for me that way, and then I’ll have an open tank for a rescue betta that I am getting soon.

Should I lower the water?
    Here is a photo of her today.
    7ECC8336-813A-43FF-B92A-537959C56AD9.jpeg

2. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

I got the hospital assembled.
    Here’s what it looks like.
    218585EB-BE3C-4E29-B555-4109DB1BE740.jpeg
    07E7BDB6-8563-4C00-920F-BDB37EB05E09.jpeg
    It’s nothing too serious, just a small sterlite tub with a three inch waterline. That should help her when she needs to breathe and eat. She gets nothing but nutritious foods an and clean warm water for the next week.

3. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

Have you considered calling a vet? I know most vets don’t typically work on bettas, but you might find one willing to try. As far as I know, that’s the only way to treat a tumor on a fish.

4. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

You mean having it surgically removed?
    I really wouldn’t enjoy putting this girl through that, it could cause her too much stress.

I have a vet that deals with fish, and reptiles.

5. LilBlub

I know, but that’s the only way I know of to get rid of a fish tumor. How old is this betta?

6. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Sorry, I didn’t respond :(
    I have had her for well over a year, and she’s four inches long.

7. LilBlub

Well, I really hope she gets better. Do you have any plans of medicating, and, if so, what with?

8. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

I don’t currently have any medications, because the tumor hasn’t been an injury yet.