Tumor In Male Betta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettanewbie2017

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone,
I'm so sad about this, but yesterday I noticed that my betta Alpha has a large growth on his stomach. He's in a cycled 5 gallon tank, and the water parameters are all where they should be. When you look closely, there are white spots on the growth (and only on the growth), but they don't look fuzzy, so I don't think it's Ich? His colour is still good, and he still has an appetite (Omega One Mini Pellets, and occasionally blood worms as a treat). He is still actively swimming around his tank, although I have noticed that he sits on the bottom more often. If it is a tumor, what are my options Is there any possibility that he might pull though? He has so much personality and the thought of losing him is tearing me up :-((

Attachments

HannahH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My crown tail has something similar. At first I thoughyt it was bloat but after several days fasting it never went down. One side is bigger and he displays pineconing on that side and has been for months. It seems to be some sort of mass within, not showing on the outside. It seems to affect his intestines as his poop comes out stringier than my others cinnamon bun shapes poop.

Does yours look like this? I can't really tell by your pic.
21751766_10213409955259812_3300797816777792337_n.jpg

FishBeans

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi HannahH, I understand this was about a month ago but did you rule out an internal parasite for your Betta? He seems bit small alas well but perhaps he was still young? Bettanewbie2017 do you normally do a fasting day or try the pea method? And any updates with your guys?

HannahH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi HannahH, I understand this was about a month ago but did you rule out an internal parasite for your Betta? He seems bit small alas well but perhaps he was still young? Bettanewbie2017 do you normally do a fasting day or try the pea method? And any updates with your guys?
He is 2.5 years old, i'm actually treating him right now with general cure for swollen abdomen and wasting disease as that sounds like him but his mass is only getting larger. The general cure should help for parasites according to the packaging if there is anything in him but i'm only on dose 1 of 2. Tonight i dose the 2nd dose. I am going to start to feed Fenbendazole though for internal parasites

@bettanewbie2017 Any updates?

Last edited:

DanielleFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is from an old post on Fishlore...I'm tagging @Furallicah, that's the member who posted it. But be warned, @Furallicah wasn't seen since 2011. This article below might still be helpful, though.

"I have a betta right now with a tumor...I've tried it all in very careful measured amounts and documentation.
(Tumor: is the name for a neoplasm or a solid lesion formed by an abnormal growth of cells (termed neoplastic) which looks like a swelling. Tumor is not synonymous with cancer. A tumor can be benign, or malignant, whereas cancer is by definition malignant.)-Wikipedia. Cancer is an extremely rare occurrence in tropical fish (aka most all aquarium fish) Tumors in fish can also be due to virus that has infected the fish. The bulk of all tumors found in fish are however result of genetic traits in that fish and hence not dangerous or a sign of problem. Also keep in mind Cancer is not a contagious disease you can get from contact. Though of course it isn't wise to go into a tank with open cuts and sores in the first place. However if the tumor is caused by a virus infection then you may want to take extra caution when working on the tank. Some people suggest that certain can actually help with these tumors seeing they are more then likely sacs of puss build up from the infection. You can try tetracycline or erythromycin but in most cases theses are not strong enough to help the fish. You can talk to a vet and see what they suggest for further information.

(Most cancers and tumors found in fishes have no cure or treatment. Internal tumors or cancers are also not diagnosed until the advanced stages of the disease. And when it is identified early, the position and placement of the tumor often makes it inoperable. This is the main reason most fishes with tumors and cancers are terminated (euthanized).
However, there are some tumors which are treatable. For instance, gill tumor, which is caused by a thyroid problem, can be treated by placing the fish in water medicated with .) -PetMD

The best thing to do if you are not strong enough to euthanize your fish, is to simply make them as comfy as possible. Giving them a tank to their self with a low current, or with betta's a tank where they can rest near the surface so they don't have to struggle against to weight of the tumor to breath. Give them a loving home and do the best you can with them. Its sometimes all we can do.
(^from my blog.)"

Sorry I can't give you more...I've never had experience with tumors (thankfully.) Hoping for the best for you and Alpha!!

DanielleFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is from an old post on Fishlore...I'm tagging @Furallicah, that's the member who posted it. But be warned, @Furallicah wasn't seen since 2011. This article below might still be helpful, though.

"I have a betta right now with a tumor...I've tried it all in very careful measured amounts and documentation.
(Tumor: is the name for a neoplasm or a solid lesion formed by an abnormal growth of cells (termed neoplastic) which looks like a swelling. Tumor is not synonymous with cancer. A tumor can be benign, or malignant, whereas cancer is by definition malignant.)-Wikipedia. Cancer is an extremely rare occurrence in tropical fish (aka most all aquarium fish) Tumors in fish can also be due to virus that has infected the fish. The bulk of all tumors found in fish are however result of genetic traits in that fish and hence not dangerous or a sign of problem. Also keep in mind Cancer is not a contagious disease you can get from contact. Though of course it isn't wise to go into a tank with open cuts and sores in the first place. However if the tumor is caused by a virus infection then you may want to take extra caution when working on the tank. Some people suggest that certain can actually help with these tumors seeing they are more then likely sacs of puss build up from the infection. You can try tetracycline or erythromycin but in most cases theses are not strong enough to help the fish. You can talk to a vet and see what they suggest for further information.

(Most cancers and tumors found in fishes have no cure or treatment. Internal tumors or cancers are also not diagnosed until the advanced stages of the disease. And when it is identified early, the position and placement of the tumor often makes it inoperable. This is the main reason most fishes with tumors and cancers are terminated (euthanized).
However, there are some tumors which are treatable. For instance, gill tumor, which is caused by a thyroid problem, can be treated by placing the fish in water medicated with .) -PetMD

The best thing to do if you are not strong enough to euthanize your fish, is to simply make them as comfy as possible. Giving them a tank to their self with a low current, or with betta's a tank where they can rest near the surface so they don't have to struggle against to weight of the tumor to breath. Give them a loving home and do the best you can with them. Its sometimes all we can do.
(^from my blog.)"

Sorry I can't give you more...I've never had experience with tumors (thankfully.) Hoping for the best for you and Alpha!!
But honestly, if he still is acting fairly normal and has a good appetite and everything, I wouldn't do anything just yet. Just keep a close eye on him a make sure that he's comfortable.
Just curious, is it difficult for him to swim at all? Because if so, you could lower the water level so it's easier to get to the top for him -- just a suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom