Tumbling shrimp eggs causing ammonia?

CoolCoryCatz
About a week ago I unfortunately had a pregnant cherry shrimp death and I tried to salvage the eggs in a tumbler but since then I’ve had high ammonia. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced perhaps some eggs dying and causing ammonia? I don’t want to trash the eggs if I’m not certain. One of my ghost shrimps has also turned pretty white which means he’s either molting or dying but he’s not hiding like he would if he’s molting, instead he’s scurrying up and down the sides of the tank like he’s trying to escape. My ammonia is .25-.50ppm over the last few days and ive been doing water changes to accommodate.

image.jpg

CoolCoryCatz said:
About a week ago I unfortunately had a pregnant cherry shrimp death and I tried to salvage the eggs in a tumbler but since then I’ve had high ammonia. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced perhaps some eggs dying and causing ammonia? I don’t want to trash the eggs if I’m not certain. One of my ghost shrimps has also turned pretty white which means he’s either molting or dying but he’s not hiding like he would if he’s molting, instead he’s scurrying up and down the sides of the tank like he’s trying to escape. My ammonia is .25-.50ppm over the last few days and ive been doing water changes to accommodate.

image.jpg
Also I’ve been suggested to add TSS or Seachem stability. I have access to TSS at my LFS but I also read when your ammonia levels are below 1ppm sometimes it’s best to let your good bacteria fight through it. I’ve withheld feeding for the past two days to try to see if that helps

richiep
The eggs will not cause and ammonia spike youd need to many, if the eggs go fury while tumbling they've gone off but generally if youe separated then it should be very few

CoolCoryCatz
richiep said:
The eggs will not cause and ammonia spike youd need to many, if the eggs go fury while tumbling they've gone off but generally if youe separated then it should be very few
Alright thank you, I think my tank is just going through a mini cycle. Would adding some TSS help or should I just wait it out

richiep
Unless you neutralise the ammonia your shrimp may well die

CoolCoryCatz
richiep said:
Unless you neutralise the ammonia your shrimp may well die
Yeah I’ve been dosing with prime but I fear the inevitable will happen. Should I set them up on a separate tank and just wait it out?

richiep
Do you have a mature tank you can put them in if not its not worth trying to move the you'll only end up.in the same boat, lers hope the prime dose its job

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom