Question Tubifex Worms?

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
C1294371-F6BF-4864-9C29-6AC5B76A87C9.jpeg
I have tons of these guys. They clean up (like in the picture) spinach leaves left from the snails, even some left over pellets...

But I never get a conclusive answer. Are these tubifex worms? I cant even say where I got them.

Fish0n

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
These look like what I know as detritus worms (I've never been clear on if tubifex and detritus are the same or not as they seem to be used interchangeably or are extremely similar).

I would cut back on feeding or remove the uneaten food then when doing waterchanges siphon the gravel very well.

OP
Kathryn Crook

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
These look like what I know as detritus worms (I've never been clear on if tubifex and detritus are the same or not as they seem to be used interchangeably or are extremely similar).

I would cut back on feeding or remove the uneaten food then when doing waterchanges siphon the gravel very well.
They are not detritus. I know that much. I see a little detritus free swim here and there. These are like aquatic earth worms, lol. I dont over feed, I try to keep food off the substrate as much as possible and suck these guys out with a turkey baster when I can but they dont seem to effect my ammonia levels. Im even starting to get attached to them...but sure would like to have an exact ID on them. They are so prolific because I have no fish, this is a shrimp tank...Ive seen them in youtube vids but noone there says what kinds of worms they are.

As an add...if they are tubifex, would a pea puffer eat them? I toss these worms out alot! No point in wasting them...lol. I only need a small excuse to start a pea puffer tank, lol.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These are what I know as sludge worms or Tubifex.

They are similar to the earthworms familiar of the garden.

They consume organic material and digest it and the bacteria living on it.

They will shrink and die away if there is insufficient food for them.

They are reddish because they have similar oxygen attracting compounds in their blood to ourselves allowing them to live in the bottom mud where oxygen is in short supply. That is why they extend into the oxygenated water.

OP
Kathryn Crook

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
These are what I know as sludge worms or Tubifex.

They are similar to the earthworms familiar of the garden.

They consume organic material and digest it and the bacteria living on it.

They will shrink and die away if there is insufficient food for them.

They are reddish because they have similar oxygen attracting compounds in their blood to ourselves allowing them to live in the bottom mud where oxygen is in short supply. That is why they extend into the oxygenated water.
Thank you! I dont stress them so much...they keep my tank clean...but I do worry about over population.

OP
Kathryn Crook

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Had similar worms in my older shrimp-only setups. They're harmless detritivores.
Do pea puffers eat them? I dont have a snail issue but would love a pea puffer some day.

Thanks for the move, I never get it right, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Take a look at the first post at the top to see if it matches then go back to your original post I only linked you to cross reference as this failed to open for you
There are so manyy!! And there us another creature idk about but there are a lot of those too ( the one that has 3 whote dots it moves) and there are like 20-30 worms that are going out of the water helppppll!!!
image2.jpg
image0-4.jpg
image3.jpg
image1-2.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom