Tss Question

1. nhaiflich Member Member

I overdosed my new tank on the 1st. Did it right at midnight to keep track easier. Everything is going great except for one thing. My evaporation level. I don't think I'm going to make it until midnight the 15th without my filter acting up due to water level. I could be wrong. It's new also, so don't know if the minimum water level mark on it is true or not. But in case it is I want to be proactive. If I had to add a tiny bit of water will it really mess something up? I would only do if filter stopped working completely and only enough to make it work again. It may be fine but don't want to be panicking at like 2 in the morn going what do I do?!?! I just checked levels. They are .25/0/5-10. I should also add that I had put gravel and media from a cycled 29 into it(55) as the 29 was leaking. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

You'll have to add treated water if it evaporates to the point that the filter will not work. There's no choice. I'm just trying to determine why you're losing so much water. Is the air very dry there?

3. nhaiflich Member Member

Nope. In Ohio. All my tanks seem like they evap quickly so maybe the air in house is dry. Only other thing I can think of is one hood on tank isn't on completely because filter is bigger than the punch out spaces. I would estimate that the level is down almost 2 inches from bottom of molding. I filled it up completely. Also estimating about 3/4 inch till min level line. Which like I said it may still work past that point. The air in here must be dry. The water on a 30 gal has gone down about half an inch since yesterday when cleaned.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. fishnewbie33 Well Known Member Member

Since you are cycling with TSS, put some water in a storage container and treat it with conditioner. Wait 24 hrs, then you can add it to the tank to combat the evaporation.

Also, test your source water so you have a baseline for what you are putting in the tank, i.e. are the nitrates from the beneficial bacteria in the tank (unlikely as you are only 7 days into the cycling process), or from the source (so you can't definitively state that the tank is cycled due to the appearance of nitrates).