Tss+ Progress Help | Page 2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Leafydragon, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Rinse tubes and lids out really well, shake the water out and let them air dry. When you do a water change, if you have to do multiple buckets you can either add all of the dechlorinator for the whole volume you are replacing to the first bucket and dump it in- then just add the rest of the replacement water (dechlorinator wil already be in the tank) OR Add dechlorinator to treat each bucket of water. You don't need to wait. Dechlorinator acts instantly.
    No need for a water change yet. Water changes aren't critical in a cycling tank. Just do the 50% change if your nitrites go much over 2 or your nitrates get closer to 80.
    Your low pH was registering 7.6, your high looks like ~ 7.4 to 7.8. So, we can assume your pH is probably right around 7.6. That's fine.
    • When and how high did you last dose the tank with ammonia?
    • How long before you did this latest test did you dose it?
    You could probably go until Friday without testing or dosing your tank at this point. Test it Friday night and see what is happening then. You can't rush Mother Nature! Go do fun school stuff and let "Mother" take care of the tank for a few days lol! You're doing great!

2. OP
    OP
    Leafydragon

LeafydragonValued MemberMember

I’ll still probably test the tank daily because it’s the only calm thing I have to do at night after these super long days :emoji_grin:, gets me excited to add the snails and shrimp in (if the tank ends up cycling within the next two weeks, otherwise I’ll have to wait until I get a free weekend again) on Labor Day

To clean out my tubes I usually rinse it out then hit it against a folded up towel (so it’s softer surface) to make all the water come out if the tube, rinse the lids then put the tubes back into the kit upright to dry and leave the lids on top of the test bottles

I added .2g of the ammonium chloride (the smallest amount I can measure on the scale) and I dosed it about one day and 6 hours ago, about five hours before posting my last image on my test results. It ended up raising my ammonia to about 2ppm, maybe a bit more since I only could check five hours after. I added it during my dinner break then checked it right before heading to bed.

I have one 2gallon bucket for “new” water and another 2 gallon bucket for siphoning out water so I’ll probably siphon out water, add extra dechlorinator to the “new” bucket of water then add some more tap water on top.

3. Momgoose56

Did you check the tank ammonia level after you added the .2 grams of powder? You might want to check your ammonia level before and about 15 minutes after you add the .2 gram dose next time, then recheck your ammonia level exactly 24 hours later. That will tell you how much ammonia your tank is processing in a 24 hour period. It will also tell you how much the .2 grams raises your ammonia level in the tank each time you dose it. Enjoy your week!

4. OP
    OP
    Leafydragon

I’ll definitely do that Friday during my break if I need to add the ammonia, I can’t believe I didn’t think to do that, thank you! You also have a great week!!

5. OP
    OP
    Leafydragon

E3255DF0-1193-43D7-9C1D-5837E2BAC183.jpegFE903FBC-88C7-4EF6-AFFF-9290C5AD5426.jpeg
    This is how my test results looked at 5pm today
    pH- >7.2
    High pH- oops, didn’t need it
    ammonia- .25ppm
    Nitrite- >0ppm
    Nitrates- 40ppm?

I also added the ammonia (2g) at 11:45pm then tested it at 12:05 and it came out as about <2ppm
    093F5B5E-3CA4-4428-A3E7-242BEAC732F1.jpeg
    I’ll probably end up testing it tomorrow closer to 11pm again but I’m worried about nitrates being too high, should I do a water change anytime soon or will it be fine until 80ppm?
    When would I be able to add my water polisher? It’s seachem purigen and I heard it wasn’t recommended to be used while cycling since it locks in ammonia?

6. Momgoose56

You don't need a water polisher while your cycling. Really, most cycled tanks stay pretty clear anyway. Seachem recommends that you don't use Purigen while cycling: "Because Purigen removes nitrogenous organic waste, it can extend the cycling process in some cases. There are a couple of things you can do to help prevent this.
    The obvious one is to remove the Purigen until the aquarium has cycled completely..."
    Cycling the tank with Purigen - Seachem Support Forums
    I'd avoid adding anything to a cycling tank besides ammonia.
    You can go ahead and do a water change tomorrow if you want. 50% would cut your nitrates by 50%. You might want to wait until after you've checked the ammonia again tho so you know how that's going. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Leafydragon

85B507BF-B4A4-45EB-BC42-EB1133DAD6BF.jpeg
    Color to left of tubes is most accurate, tested 24 hours after last time
    pH- 6.6?
    Ammonia- >.25ppm
    Nitrite- 2ppm?
    Nitrate- 40ppm

What happened? I went ahead and added more ammonia but these results don’t make sense to me. Why is the pH falling and how did nitrites suddenly shoot up. Will this hurt my plants? Should I be worried about the pH or will it fix itself?
    I think I’m going to do a water change right after testing it tonight.

8. Momgoose56

Nitrites won't hurt your plants. Neither will ammonia or nitrates. Those nitrogen compounds are used in fertilizer.
    A 50% water change would be fine, that would bring your pH up some.
    Then redose the ammonia.
    Your pH will fix itself once your tank is cycled. It will continue to fluctuate while your tank is cycling. Things are progressing. Your AOB is growing, processing ammonia faster, nitrites are rising. Everything's going fine.

9. OP
    OP
    Leafydragon

2B4A08A8-DAB7-42E7-931F-6DEB0F17BC96.jpegD7129B30-D6ED-472B-9DEE-1D0FC3BAE5EC.jpeg
    It seems like the ammonia is processing in about 24 hours, but the nitrites and nitrates are still high and pH still isn’t very high. Am I somehow doing the test wrong? Could the water from previous tests be somehow alternating the results since occasionally I see colored water left (that I shake out) at the bottom before testing again. How long should I leave the tests in the tube, can that affect the accuracy of the test? Is the pH test wrong, it seems very green? Sorry the chart is so messy, I hope it’s still easy to read to see the trends (blue means something was added or changed and pink means normal)
    I went ahead and dosed 2g of ammonium chloride again and will check the results again tomorrow night.

10. OP
    OP
    Leafydragon

9167B9C4-D28E-4347-BA6F-74A72322C99D.jpeg
    ph- >6
    Ammonia- 2ppm
    Nitrite- <1ppm
    Nitrate- <10ppm

The ammonia didn’t seem to process as well today but the nitrite and nitrate levels are going down and I’m worried I might’ve messed up somehow. I accidentally left the filter off for 12 hours overnight after changing the water Friday and I’m worried that made my cycle restart but it didn’t look like it had but now I’m a bit worried it could’ve messed something up.