Tss+ Or Not?

LT Connell

Reaction score
I need some advice on whether or not TSS+ would help my situation.

300g tank
Ph = 7.6ish
Temp: 79
Ammonia = .25 - .50
Nitrites = 1ppm
Nitrates = 0

We currently have 3 Blue Acaras and 9 White Skirt Tetras in the tank. I've been checking water parameters every morning and dosing with Prime. This morning all the Tetras were swimming around like crazy fish (presumably due to the nitrite level), so I did about a 25% water change (which took forever).

While I am not opposed to performing daily water changes, I was wondering if we are too far along to dump 3 bottles of TSS+ in the tank to speed things along? It took me 1.5 hours this morning to do that water change and that's going to get old real quick if I have to do it every morning

If TSS+ is a good idea, how long after dosing with Prime is it safe to dump it in there? Thanks in advance for your help!

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i don't think it's ever too late to try adding bb. i read somewhere that you have to wait 24 hours after using prime to add tss+. if you get seachem stability, you don't have to wait, but the two products are different.

KeeperOfASilentWorld

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dear @LT Connell ,

Definitely dump as many TSS+ as you can

You should ideally wait a minimum of 48 hours after Prime !

The TSS+ will not work as intended if you have remaining nitrites and ammonia in the water column. You should perform a huge water change before your TSS dose. Double your tank size and dose TSS+ according to the double. After dosing TSS+: hold off on the water changes for at least 14 days. During this time, never ever dose or use Prime or any other binding product for any purpose.

Here is an ideal scenario :

Immediately do a water change of over %50. Ideally %75. ( I know it sucks ) ( Do not use Prime or any other binding product, Tetra AquaSafe is a good option )
Dose Stability 500ml, the whole bottle all at once.
Wait 48 hours.
Do another over %50 water change. Ideally %75. Double Dose TSS+.
Wait 14 days while monitoring parameters

Please feel free to ask any further questions. I would be happy to help.

Happy Fish Keeping

LT Connell

Reaction score
KeeperOfASilentWorld said:
Dear @LT Connell ,

Definitely dump as many TSS+ as you can

You should ideally wait a minimum of 48 hours after Prime !

The TSS+ will not work as intended if you have remaining nitrites and ammonia in the water column. You should perform a huge water change before your TSS dose. Double your tank size and dose TSS+ according to the double. After dosing TSS+: hold off on the water changes for at least 14 days. During this time, never ever dose or use Prime or any other binding product for any purpose.

Here is an ideal scenario :

Immediately do a water change of over %50. Ideally %75. ( I know it sucks ) ( Do not use Prime or any other binding product, Tetra AquaSafe is a good option )
Dose Stability 500ml, the whole bottle all at once.
Wait 48 hours.
Do another over %50 water change. Ideally %75. Double Dose TSS+.
Wait 14 days while monitoring parameters

Please feel free to ask any further questions. I would be happy to help.

Happy Fish Keeping
That would certainly be an expensive trip to the store....if I dose for 600 gallons, that would be 6 bottles at $15 each...

What do you mean, it will not work as intended if you have remaining nitrites and ammonia in the water column? It has already started the cycling process, so eliminating them would be near impossible at this point (I think).

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check chewy.com a lot of stuff is much cheaper there than at a actual store! Some stores will even price match to websites though, I know my petsmart does!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wait 24hr after the last Prime dose.
Shake TSS+ bottles (you'll need 3)
Shake bottles again.
Dump 2 bottles in opposite corners of the tank and the 3rd near the filter intake (so it gets sucked up).
Wait 14 days before another water change.

The ammonia and nitrites in the tank is fine. The BB in TSS+ will have something to feed on so you don't need to do a water change before adding it.

BB that converts nitrites to nitrates will take longer to colonize than BB that converts ammonia so it's not a bad idea to add TSS+ now unless you're ok doing w/c's every day for 2+ weeks.

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Interesting thread. For what it's worth I was about 3 days into a fish cycle using safe start. I had 5 giant danios to start. I was in Petco and noticed there as still 2 more Giants left so I got them and added them to the school. Well about an hour after they were released into the tank I noticed one off by himself seemingly gasping. This was before I learned the benefits of Prime or even had any in the house. I had another bottle of safe start (enough for 20 gallons) so added it. By the next hour he was fine and schooling with the others. Now I don't know if the bacteria works that fast to eat amonia but I think throwing it in when I did sav d my fish. Does that make sense?

LT Connell

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the info. Since I put Prime in the water this morning, I'm going to wait until morning and test the levels. If (as I suspect will happen) that Nitrites have went back up to 1ppm, then I'm going to do a partial water change and dump 3 bottles of TSS+ in the tank.

I'll keep everybody posted.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Prime doesn't remove ammonia or nirites.. it just binds them to make them not-toxic to the fish for 24-48 hours. Stability can be used with prime, so you can continue using prime to detox. TSS is better at growing the nitrite converting bacteria however.. so it's a tough call. Also, if your fish can handle it, I'd drop the temp a couple of degrees, that PH and temp the ammonia is more toxic, especially if you are going to skip prime to do TSS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom