Tss One Week Later

1. j

jwde2009 New Member Member

Hi all,

One week ago I used most of a bottle of TSS rated for 200 gallons in my 20 gallon. I then added three honey gourami. One week later:
    Temp 76.5
    PH 7.2~
    Ammonia: 4, possibly even 8 (hard to read)
    Nitrite and nitrate: 0

My fish haven't eaten in the week they've been home. Just to make sure I'm doing the right thing, I'm going to do a huge water change (maybe 3 5 gallon buckets but not at once), test for ammonia, and when it's below 1ppm wait 24 hours and use more TSS (bought from a different store). Is this my best plan right now?

2. K

Kristian Acevedo Valued Member Member

Usually you’re supposed to let TSS go for two full weeks. But was your ammonia high when you started? If it was above 3/4ppm then it would’ve just killed the bacteria in the bottle

3. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Use TSS+, not TSS.

I would do 3 5g buckets at once. Refill slowly over an hour time period. Then another 2 buckets an hour later. That should bring your ammonia down to >1ppm. Wait 24h and dose with TSS+. Shake the bottle really well. Dose 25ml per 10g so 50ml for your 20g tank.

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

1. Did you use TSS or TSS+?
    2. Please test your source water for ammonia & report the results.
    3. It was my understanding that TSS+ messed with ammonia test results, but I would be surprised to have it this far off a week I.
    4. Re-test the tank for ammonia, Nitrite & nitrate following the directions precisely.
    5. How do the fish look?

5. OP
    OP
    j

jwde2009 New Member Member

It is TSS+. The fish seem fine otherwise but they're not eating. I had started a fishless cycle before TSS+ so it did have some ammonia. I only have two buckets and it's taking forever to heat the first one up or I would do a 100% water change

6. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

When I do a water change, I run my tap water until it is the same temperature as my tank. I check it with an instant read digital meat thermometer, letting the water run at first into a plastic cup. When it gets to the right temperature, then I fill my bucket. I add Prime as it fills. Then I'm ready with temperature matched conditioned water to refill my tank. Hope that helps!

7. Mom2some

So you added fish to a tank that already had ammonia ? How much ammonia do you think? I have to say my python water changer has been my best investment in my tank since it dramatically reduces the labor of water changes.

8. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I bought 5g bucket in three's. I had 9 but when I was at Lowe's, they had a new, beefier designed bucket so I picked up 3 more so I have 12 now :). I use some to hold old gravel and decorations, sand, potting mix soaked, etc. They're also great for soaking new driftwood for a few days/weeks. I also have a Brute 32g trash can that I use to fill my 75g for water changes. I'm not a fan of pumping water directly into any tank from a faucet. I fill the Brute and treat (usually Prime) and use a infrared thermometer to match tank temps. My FX4 has a utility valve that can suck water from the trash can but I also have a 550gph pump for my other tanks. I have a few 25' 1/2" hoses to drain/fill my tanks.

9. Mom2some

Can you use some of the media from your other tanks to help jump start the cycle on this tank?