TSS? need responses

1. rae64 Well Known Member Member

Sorry if this counts as posting another thread, but I really need some responses before my opportunity escapes. I have a 29 gal tank... you can read about it here. http://www.fishlore.com /fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/59783-cycle-cycle-cycle.html But, my cycling has hit a bump in the road. Yesterday, I added rocks and took out a large fake wood piece used as a seed decoration and my ammonia began to rise. It is currently at 4.0. I have been trying to cycle tanks since August (my 10 gal) and still have not had any luck.

SO, I am hoping I will have some luck with the Tetra Safe Start I just bought at the LFS. I also bought some Aqua Safe. I need a little filling in on the TSS.

1) the bottle I bought for a 30 gal aquarium is enough for my 29 gal, right?

2) do I need to do a water change before adding the TSS? If so how much? (thanks for the answer thorpbrian)

3) do I add ALL my entire stock when I get my fish?

Finally, I know not to use the TSS until I am ready for fish... my first thread was SO confusing... sorry!

p.s... Sorry for earlier... I was kinda freaking out. I had posted a question about TSS on my first thread without any responses... then my mom started yelling "IF YOU WANT TO GO WE HAVE TO GO RIGHT NOW"!!! So, I left and got the stuff and now I am cleaning up the original post... sorry if caused any undue eye trauma.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Wow rae, that's really hard to read without double spaces between sentences and caps at the beginning of the sentences.

3. thorpbrian Member Member

Before going to the store I'd do a large 75%+ water change (don't use Prime or any ammonia locking water conditioner). At the store I'd buy the TSS and enough fish to feed the ammonia in the TSS. Personally when I cycled my 55 gal with TSS I did it with 6 zebra danios and it worked well.

After getting back from the store I'd acclimate the fish, put them in the tank and add the entire bottle of TSS.

4. rae64 Well Known Member Member

sorry... i will fix it :)

I am heading to the store right now, but I am not getting any fish today... my mom says we have to leave RIGHT NOW.... sorry guys.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

i know you are gone but DO NOT use the TSS if you didnt get fish..save it for another day when you can....then id do as thorpbrian suggested! (who gave superb advice that I hope you read :) )

6. rae64 Well Known Member Member

I am so sorry for the original post... I went back and cleaned it up! I was panicking!

And yes, I know not to use the Tetra Safe Start until I am ready for fish. Sorry for all the confusion...

BUT, the new LFS was REALLY NEAT! They had some really interesting things. My favorites were the toucan (has anyone else seen a toucan at a pet store?) and a beautiful juvenile silver arowana! Oh and some beautiful discus fish :) it was a nice find.

I think the game plan thus far is to do a 75+ water change tonight, then tomorrow add the TSS. Then, I will go straight to the LFS and pick up my fish. How many do I get?

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks for fixing the post. Whew, that makes it easier!
    In the mean time, looks like you got some good info from the other members!
    Best of luck!

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

9. rae64 Well Known Member Member

You're welcome! I owe your eyes an apology.... haha! Thats what happens when I panic!

10. rae64 Well Known Member Member

My bottle of TSS is the 100 ml bottle made for aquariums up to 30 gallons and mine is 29 gallons. Here is the stocking so far:

(3) platys
    (7) cory cats (albino and bronze)
    (2) lyretail mollies
    (3) balloon molly
    (2) honey gouramis

The honeys have to be special ordered, and will not be able to be added with all the other fish because of this. They will likely be added a week later. I added 2 more balloon mollies to my original stocking list for fear the lone little guy would be picked on. Is this alright? (all males except for the corys)

So I should add the TSS right when I add my fish?
    I read through the link you gave me.... great job Lucy!

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ok im confused also LOL didnt realize you already had fish :) so why are you buyin more? or am I lost again ...

12. rae64 Well Known Member Member

oh no... haha thats the FUTURE stocking list so far... sorry if I am confusing. I have no fish in the 29 gallon. This is just the plan.

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;rlok so with the size bottle you have, I would get your 3 platies and your tss and your good to go....wait a week, test the water....then wait one more week of good readings, and slowly start stocking with fish slowly every 2 weeks... thats how I would do it :)

14. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If you're going to use the TSS, I wouldn't add all the fish at once. I'd do maybe the platies or mollies and wait until the cycle is FOR SURE done... cories and gouramis don't tend to do well in new setups IME.

15. rae64 Well Known Member Member

I failed to mention that in my uncycled 10 gallon tank that I am going to turn into a QT I have one cory cat that I would like to move ASAP. Could I do 4 corys to start, or is he better off in the 10 gallon? (it gets a water change and prime every day)

Just read the post about cory cats and cycling tanks... I guess I could keep him in the 10 for 2 more weeks... it is kinda funny though he is the only little guy left. He outlived platies and balloon mollies.

would some more TSS help? is that necessary?

16. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

IMO cories dont do well in tanks that are cycling...id go with the platies and wait the time frame that I would do in the post above..good luck either way :)

17. rae64 Well Known Member Member

I guess I will just get the platys, and maybe once things have been stable for a few days, let my little Cory pal (Happy is his name) into his new home even though he will be alone. I do not want to rush it, but his 10 gallon tank isn't a very nice place to be. It is on my bathroom floor, and he is constantly stressed out by my cats who like to stalk him. His ammonia reading fluctuate, but they are as stable as prime can keep them. Poor little fella.

Oh! By the way here is a picture of the tank! I am so very excited!

Attached Files:

18. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Your new tank looks fantastic! Great job with the rock work. :)

19. cwb141 Member Member

Wow! The top layer of sand is so even. Great job!

20. rae64 Well Known Member Member

thanks to you too! it just kinda went like that when i put the rocks in it :)

second thoughts..... OH NO! I am getting a little worried.... I just read a post about the person who was encouraging me to get all male live-bearers... they had guppy problems! (I cannot recall the name...) Apparently somebody took a bite out of someone else's tail.... oh dear! Could this happen for the livebearers I am getting? I really do not know if I should get all males... it sorta worries me. I need another opinion.... all males or all females? help!

edit: i think it was Meenu

nevermind, problem resolved.

alright! I picked up the new boys today, and they are doing fantastic! I do think that I am going to move my Cory catfish tomorrow. If the ammonia or nitrites spike really high or something goes bad I can always move him back to the 10 gal that I have been Priming every day. About how high does the ammonia and nitrite spike to? I am also expecting less of a spike because of all the bacteria I have already cultivated. Then I can also move over my extra filtration and fill it up with good bacteria. Then if I have to move the cory back, he will have a seeded filter.

:animal0068:Hello Rae. I have merged your posts to save some space. There is an Edit key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and additional thoughts should there be no responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken