Tss+ In Conjunction With Ammonia?

Willed
I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere but I had trouble finding where.
When I start my fishless cycle with tetra safe start plus, I still use the dose of ammonia at the same time, correct? Any caveats?

Thank you!!

Bryangar
Yup, the bacteria you add will need a source of food, which is where the bottled ammonia comes into play.

Willed
Thanks that’s what I thought. Do you know if it’s OK to add water substrate etc then dechlorinate then start the bacteria/ammonia before my canister filter arrives?

Bryangar
I personally wouldn’t. All the bacteria lives on the filter and without it you can't really cycle a tank. You can set up the tank. Add the substrate, decorations, heater and declorinated water just don’t add the bottle bacteria. Wait until the filter comes in then start the process.

Hunter1
And you want to wait at least 24 hours after using declorinator before adding TetraSafeStart.

And when you add the TetraSafeStart, add it in the back of your filter so it runs through the media.. that’s where you want it to reside.

Bryangar
And you want to wait at least 24 hours after using declorinator before adding TetraSafeStart.
Why do you have to wait? I’ve never heard of that.

Hunter1
You just did.

Research the use of TetraSafeStart, something in the declorinator kills the bacteria.

Or wait a little while and others will jump in and confirm it.

Bryangar
You just did.

Research the use of TetraSafeStart, something in the declorinator kills the bacteria.

Or wait a little while and others will jump in and confirm it.
No where on their site does it say that a declorinator can kill the bacteria. You might be misinformed, if you could provide a link where you read that then that would be helpful.

Hunter1
mattgirl, Gypsy13,

One of you want to weigh in on this?

MichaelTant
No where on their site does it say that a declorinator can kill the bacteria. You might be misinformed, if you could provide a link where you read that then that would be helpful.
Well its not the dechlorinator persay. Now I'm also new but have done full research. The reason you wait 24 hours is to let the dechlorinator completely take away all chlorine/chloramine. If you add Tetra SafeStart right after you dechlorinate the water the chlorine is still there until 24 hours. And chlorine kills the beneficial bacteria your tank needs to go through the nitrogen cycle. I use Tetra SafeStart and have waited 24 hours after dechlorinating the water and have been quite successful. It just makes sure that all chlorine is eliminated that way you don't waste a bottle of SafeStart.

Willed
I read something about the 24 hours just today. Also imagine that would neutralize the ammonia the bacteria need to eat (just theorizing, probably wrong theory). Not slamming anyone just confirming that I’ve heard that elsewhere. My theme for this project has been to err on the side of caution so I’m going to wait 24 hours either way. I think it makes sense to stagger it out rational or not.

Bryangar
Well its not the dechlorinator persay. Now I'm also new but have done full research. The reason you wait 24 hours is to let the dechlorinator completely take away all chlorine/chloramine. If you add Tetra SafeStart right after you dechlorinate the water the chlorine is still there until 24 hours. And chlorine kills the beneficial bacteria your tank needs to go through the nitrogen cycle. I use Tetra SafeStart and have waited 24 hours after dechlorinating the water and have been quite successful. It just makes sure that all chlorine is eliminated that way you don't waste a bottle of SafeStart.
I can see that but all declorinaters work almost instantly.
I don't want to turn this into a debate, I just want a link that shows proof.

MichaelTant
I can see that but all declorinaters work almost instantly.
Your absolutely right. But waiting the 24 hours is just a safety measure that way you ensure the bacteria stays alive.

Hunter1
I have read it and personally posted it here on fishlore at least 100Xs.

Just because it’s on the internet doesn’t make it true but it’s as common as “ammonia gets converted to nitrites which gets converted to nitrates.”

Most people use Prime and maybe it is specific to Prime because Prime masks ammonia and nitrites for up to 24 hours.

To be safe I would wait 24 hours after dechlorinating the water.

Bryangar
I have read it and personally posted it here on fishlore at least 100Xs.

Just because it’s on the internet doesn’t make it true but it’s as common as “ammonia gets converted to nitrites which gets converted to nitrates.”

Most people use Prime and maybe it is specific to Prime because Prime masks ammonia and nitrites for up to 24 hours.

To be safe I would wait 24 hours after dechlorinating the water.
I can see it as a precaution but nothing else. Prime only detoxifies the ammonia/nitrite for up to 48 hours. The ammonia is still there only in a non-toxic form, while your beneficial bacteria turns it into nitrite then nitrate.

This thread may help answer some of your questions
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart
Thanks for clearing that up.

Gypsy13
Thanks. I remember reading that 6 months ago.

Not a scientific explanation, just the manufacturers recommendation.

I also just listened again. Just to make sure I was remembering correctly. One thing I remembered, and was just confirmed by listening again, is Tetra is good at seeming to answer questions without answering them all or all of them completely. Especially in the why? areas. It’s not exactly comforting to me to hear the maker of a product tell me certain levels of ammonia “should” be ok. They’ve been in the fish business forever. Don’t they know? I love my fish. I don’t want a “should” be ok. Not from the manufacturer.
Thank you Coradee for once again having a link handy.

Willed
jdhef
Nope, you can leave your carbon filter in during cycling

mattgirl
mattgirl, Gypsy13,

One of you want to weigh in on this?
Thank you for the shout out but since I've never used this product or any of the many bottled bacteria's I normally leave it to those that have actually used and has had success or failure with it.

I could post what I have read but that is just repeating something someone else has said and I try my best not to do that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Hannah1064
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Top Bottom