TSS didn't work... Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by AspiringAquarist, Mar 29, 2010.

1. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

It's been 10 days since my addition of TSS and I don't think that it worked successfully in my tank. :'( I think it was because I changed the activated carbon in one of my filters and the all power to my tank was off for 5 hours, killing the beneficial bacteria.

Here are the latest readings:
    Ammonia- 1.0 ppm
    Nitrite- 0 ppm? (slightly darker than the light blue on 0)
    Nitrate- between 20-40 ppm

I know that now I have to do daily water changes with Prime. Can someone recommend a plan to me, like how much % to do each day, etc.?

If it helps, two days ago I had an ammonia spike of 2.0-4.0 ppm and now it's gotten lower to 1.0 ppm. I've only seen nitrite twice (both times less than 1 ppm) and when nitrite would get to 0, there was an increase in nitrate.

Also, if I turn off the power to my filters for about 20 minutes (that's how long a 50% w/c usually takes me) will the beneficial bacteria in the filter die?
    And when I add clean water to the tank during a water change, is it best that I add water conditioner when the tank is full or do I add water conditioner only to the new water and add that to the tank?

Thanks.

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

20 minutes will not kill off your bacteria.

I would do 40%-50% waterchanges with Prime daily until you finish cycling. I would add the Prime to the new water but add enough to treat the whole tank.

3. OP
    OP
    A

I would add Prime to the new tank water but then I use a Python that connects to my sink, so I can't add Prime to the new water until it is in my tank.

I am concerned about adding Prime when the new water is in my tank because chlorinated water kills off the beneficial bacteria. So should I add the new water to the tank and then add Prime and THEN lastly turn on the filter so that the filter pads do not come into contact with chlorinated water.

How does that sound?

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with john totally!
    you can add the prime to your tank first and stick with the changes until its done :)
    the fish need the break for sure.....glad they are still going strong!!

5. OP
    OP
    A

About how many more daily water changes do you think I will need before I am completely cycled?

Also, do you think it would be appropriate to change the carbon in my AquaClear filter? It's been in the filter for about three weeks now.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Can't determine when your tank will finish, may not be long though. The good news is is that your are seeing a rise in NitrAtes and your ammonia is down to 1ppm. Just do some daily water changes as stated above. Test before each water change so you know what is going on.

Yes, you can change the carbon in your filter, it wont hurt anything. Just don't change anything else.

7. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Don't change your carbon untill your tank is cycled. you need to save all the bacteria you can.

8. Shawnie

+2 I wouldnt do ANYTHING to that tank other than the daily changes with prime.....I do agree no one can tell you how long

9. OP
    OP
    A

Okay, so even though the carbon has been in there for a few weeks now don't do anything?

And also what does the "+2" mean? Sorry if it's a noob question lol :;f

10. Shawnie

dont be sorry :)
    the +2 meant I was agreeing with Don's advice
    if you feel the carbon is old, cutting a slit in the bag/cartridge to dump it out wont hurt anything but keep the rest of it (if its a cartridge...)

11. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I don't run any carbon to be honest, but as Shawnie says you can change the carbon as long as the spongy media remains, this is where all the lovely greeny, browny bacteria lives! Yum...

12. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Since you have an Aqua Clear filter, I assume the carbon is in a seperate pouch. But I agree that you should not replace it until after you are finished cycling since some bacteria does live there as well.

13. OP
    OP
    A

Hmm...I don't think I'm going to change it yet. Just in case the carbon starts leeching stuff back into the tank and the water stinks, I'll keep an extra pouch of carbon.

Is that okay?

14. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, that should be fine.

I have aqua clears too and I don't use carbon. It's more of a personel
    preferance really.

Here's a great article on activated carbon. Basically doesn't leech it just absorbs so much and then becomes part of the biological filtration.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice