Tss+ Day 3, No Ammonia?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by chrisexv6, Aug 18, 2019.

1. chrisexv6

chrisexv6New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Added TSS+ about 3.5 days ago. 5.5 gallon tank, all readings were good for TSS+ addition at the time (0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites). Prime was used to treat the water but given 36 hours to dissipate.

Note this is a fish-in cycling (hence the TSS+)

Now after 3. 5 days, Im seeing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and maybe 3-4 nitrates (hard to judge the color between 0 and 5 on the API kit, but its definitely closer to 5 than 0)

I was expecting to see at least some ammonia, but I dont....any ideas? I know it could just be wacky readings because of the TSS+ but figured Id ask just because Im curious.

Thanks.

-Chris

2. oldsalt777

oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +653
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello Chris...

The only water additive you need is the product that removes ammonia and nitrite and detoxifies forms of nitrogen. That's it. Seachem's "Safe" is about the best on the market. Anyway, since the fish are in, just feed them a little every day or two and test the water daily for ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, remove 25 percent of the water and replace it with treated tap water. Just feed a little and test daily and change the water when needed. In a month, you'll get several tests with no trace of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is established. Then, you change half the water a couple of times a week for as long as you have the tank. Pretty simple!

Old

3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Since this is a fish in cycle there is no need to be worried about not seeing ammonia. That is actually a good thing. Maybe you got a really fresh bottle of bacteria and it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

Have you tested your source water? It is always a good thing to run all the tests on it so you have a baseline on the new water going in the tank during water changes. It is possible the low nitrates you are seeing are in your source water but it is also possible that the bottled bacteria is doing its job and is processing the ammonia your fish is adding and that is why you are seeing nitrates already.

It isn't unusual to never see nitrites when using TSS+

4. OP
    OP
    chrisexv6

chrisexv6New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks! I guess it makes sense, actually....I was going off the FAQ and another post here about TSS+ directly from Tetra, so I was expecting different results.

Our source water has a trace (0.25) of ammonia, searching that makes it seem like its just a false positive from the API master kit which is what Im using. The tank water had that same trace amount when I started the cycle, but it is definitely "all yellow" now. Nitrates and Nitrites all zeroes on the source water.

Im not sure how far out they make the expiration dates, but my bottle had a date of 08/2020, so if they make them one year expiration it was about as fresh as I could get it (bought it last week).