TSS cycle with fish or plants? Question

1. Dolphini Member Member

So I have my 30gal going, for at least a week now I think, and I'm starting to get some ammonia readings (1.0ppm yesterday, no nitrites/ates). Would it be possible to speed along the cycle by adding Tetra Safe Start and a few fish and/or live plants?

I read the Q&A Thread with Tetra about TSS and it seems like this would work with some small fish, but I'm not sure about plants.

My plan is:
    -1 angel
    -2 GB or bolivian rams
    -1 dwarf gourami
    -6 harly rasboras
    -5 cory cats
    I'm guessing it's best to add fish from smallest to largest, so the harlies would be the first to go in, yes?
    As for plants, I'd like to add a sword, anubias, and java ferns. I also have some small clumps of java moss in another tank.

So, would it be okay to put TSS in along with some of the starter fish AND a couple plants, or would it be better with only the fish or plants?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what have you been using now to get the 1ppm ammonia? that would depend on how effective TSS would be at this point

3. Dolphini Member Member

I've only been using Seachem Stability, not sure how much affect that is having.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

unfortunately, stability is the wrong kind of bacteria:( its not one that can live and create a cycle without adding it forever.....at this point, I would stop using it completely, do a 70 -80% water change, and let the tank run for a day or 2 on its own without anything..at that point, you can add TSS and out of your list, id go with the rasbora's..get a bottle of TSS that will do up to 75 gals, and add the ENTIRE bottle...

but if you choose not to go the TSS route, still stop using stability and either try one of these other methods https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/48446-four-methods-fish-less-cycling.html

good luck

EDIT: your plants can go in at any time :)

5. Dolphini Member Member

Ahhh thank you thank you! Sounds like a plan. I'll take the opportunity of the water change to throw in some plants since I'll be able to reach the bottom without getting my whole arm wet...

And now I'm really glad I got a Python...(Aqueon brand actually, but same thing) :)

6. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

+1 to Shawnie's post.

And to add.. it will take 7-10 days for it to cycle. So I would hold off until the 7th day to test. Don't do any water changes until it has cycled. Shake the bottle good!

7. Dolphini Member Member

Thanks Mosin! Will do.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

your welcome and goodluck!!!

9. HitchHiker Member Member

So what about if you have been cycling your tank with a shrimp, would you beable to to pull out the shrimp and add a few fish and TSS?

More out of curiosity than anything else.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

IMO , as long as you dont have any detoxifying chemicals in the tank with it(ammo lock, prime, ) or any other bacteria additives(cycle, stability, ) other than the shrimp and your water, yes you can

11. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I agree with Shawnie. I was about 8 weeks into a fishy cycle (black skirt tetras) that was going way to slow and the water changes were getting really old. I added a few more fish and a bottle of TSS and in 7 days it was done. Everything has been perfect every since. That was early in November.