Tss+ Cycle Has Begun

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by BettaFishKeeper4302, Jun 20, 2018.

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

So i got my tank ready and it ran for 24hrs and i added the TSS+ a little over 2 hours ago like the directions said. I now have a few guppies. They are all so pretty. They are males. I will make sure to keep you all updated. Here is a pic of them.

20180620_163959(0).jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  2. Keith83Valued MemberMember

Do you have a water test kit? You will show some amonia readings no doubt but don't dose your tank with Seachem Prime. That will kill the TSS bacteria. I remember reading that the ammonia will be a little stressful but not lethal. There is a post somewhere on this site that is from a Tetra representative that spells it all out. I think the bottle tells you not to do any water changes for a couple of weeks.

3. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Congratulations! They are pretty! Enjoy doing nothing but lightly feeding for 14 days!

4. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

2 weeks to be exact. Then i can start adding fish slowly one by one.

Yep. Exept i have a question. Is it normal for one guppy just to stay by itself? It stays towards the bottom a little. It (i don't want to say rarely) sometimes goes with the others.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
  5. loner556New MemberMember

I can't comment on the guppy behavior but we did have good luck with the TSS+. I cycled my daughters 29 gallon with it and 8 danios. All survived and never showed any signs of stress. We set up the tank and used Prime for the water. Let the filter run 48 hours no fish, then added the TSS+ and danios. I have the API test kit but didn't test anything for 2 weeks. We did no water changes during the two weeks either.

After 2 weeks, water tests showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. I was a little worried at that point that it was not cycled/cycling but figured it would have ammonia showing up if it wasn't. We started weekly water changes and tests started to show nitrates at about 6 weeks. Now we're running about 5-10 nitrates with weekly water changes and always test 0,0 on ammonia and nitrite.

On an off topic note, the danios are still happy and breed often. We now have a 5.5 gallon fry grow out tank with 18 fry that are about 5 weeks old. We're getting ready to add another 29 or 37 gallon bare tank with sponge filter to let them grow up in. We used TSS+ on the 5.5 gallon fry tank as well with no problems.

6. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Thanks that helps me feel a lot better. Especially because my tank is 29 gallons. Is 1 pinch of food good for light feeding?

One pinch of food good????

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  7. loner556New MemberMember

I'd recommend starting with very small pinches and only give them what they can eat in a minute or two. I always watch to make sure we don't have food floating to the bottom.

Several small pinches spread out over the minute or two is better than one big pinch. Too much at once and a lot of it is down in the substrate and plants before they can eat it.

8. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Will my guppies eat this?

20180620_181113.jpg

9. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Yes, and yes.

Some guppies hover at the top, some like the bottom. Even fish from the same litter do this.

The flake food is fine. Over time, add some variety including frozen brine shrimp, frozen or freeze dried blood works, another brand of flake. Even slow sinking micro pellets.

10. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

I will and so i just give them a pinch of this correct?

11. Hunter1

Yes. A small pinch and watch em eat.

They will learn quickly to go to the bottom after feeding to pick up scraps.

12. Mom2some

That should be okay for food. They may not eat for a day or two as they acclimate- don’t be surprised. Guppies are not schooling fish, so some may hang together & some may not. In my experience what you want to watch for is a change in behavior- the one which is always social now hiding, I would encourage early lights out for the fish tonight if you aren’t on a timer. Let them settle in. Enjoy!

13. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Ok thanks so much!!

Thanks.

They enjoyed their dinner! The one i was talking about likes the bottom like you said Mom2some.

Since this is a TSS+ cycle i can add plants correct? I was told i could in a previous post but i just want to make sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  14. Hunter1

Yes.

They are beautiful and beneficial.

15. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

They won't affect the cycle in a negative way?? @Mom2some

16. Hunter1

Absolutely not!

I try to put plants in before the cycle. But plants eat nitrates, produce oxygen, provide cover/hiding places, and make the tank look better.

No downside except decaying leaves that can litter the tank.

17. remy113

remy113Valued MemberMember

My suggestion do some research and find low matince plant like java fern or java moss. Start out with a plant that won’t need extra fertilizer and added co2. If your just starting don’t overdo it so you don’t get stressed. I personally just did my first planted tank a few weeks ago. I started with java moss. But I went that route because I did research and realized I wasn’t ready to do fertilizer and all the extra stuff for plants . My 2 cents

18. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I'm not sure. I've never kept live plants (but have used TSS several times). From what I understand, plants will consume ammonia from the water. (They apparently prefer ammonia over nitrates...who'd a guessed). So depending on how many plants you have and what the ammonia production in your tank is, it could be possible that the plants would use up some (or all) of the ammonia, therefor starving out some (or all) of the TSS bacteria.

So in theory, if you had enough plants to consume all of the ammonia being produced, you would never cycle a tank because there is not any left over ammonia for the bacteria. In fact there is a method called the Walstad method where you have a heavily planted, lightly stocked tank and no filter. You just rely on the plants to remove the ammonia from the water.

But with that said, it is most likely fine. You will probably have more ammonia than plants to absorb it all. And if you added the plants after you completed cycling, any ammonia the plants are consuming will led to a reduction in the size of your bacteria colony, since the size of the colony is dictated by the amount of available food (i.e. ammonia). So basically your tank will reach an equilibrium.

19. Mom2some

I don’t have a firm answer. I would assume putting some plants in is fine. You are not going to end up with a “heavily planted” tank.

20. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

So far i have fed my guppies once. Do i feed them twice a day?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice