Question TSS+ and Adding Water?

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This may be a silly question, but during the cycling process, using Tetra Safe Start Plus, I know you are not supposed to do water changes for 14 days after adding it. I have a 40 gallon I am trying to cycle and I need to add water to keep my Fluval canister filter output submerged. Should I add distilled water to keep it topped off? Or should I add tap water? If I add tap water, is it OK to use a conditioner (not Prime, as i know it can interfere with the beneficial bacteria in the TSS,+)?

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Add whatever water you need for a top off. Shouldn't matter if it's distilled or not for this. Just don't take water out of the tank is what it's saying.
Yes on regular dechlorinater to the tap water.

OP
kcisco71

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MrBryan723 said:
Add whatever water you need for a top off. Shouldn't matter if it's distilled or not for this. Just don't take water out of the tank is what it's saying.
Yes on regular dechlorinater to the tap water.
Thank you! I just didn't want to dilute or mess up cycle!

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just top it off with tap+ conditioner. Personally I see no issue using prime or doing water changes with TSS but what works for you works for you.

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kcisco71 said:
This may be a silly question, but during the cycling process, using Tetra Safe Start Plus, I know you are not supposed to do water changes for 14 days after adding it. I have a 40 gallon I am trying to cycle and I need to add water to keep my Fluval canister filter output submerged. Should I add distilled water to keep it topped off? Or should I add tap water? If I add tap water, is it OK to use a conditioner (not Prime, as i know it can interfere with the beneficial bacteria in the TSS,+)?
Yes seachem has stated which other products prime may interact with but yeah you can use a dechlorinator or conditioner with ss+ if u absolutely have too

New Threads