Tss+ Adding Betta?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Keeks, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Keeks

Keeks Valued Member Member

I nuked my tank due to too much planaria and thought it would kill my cycle, but I guess it survived. Right now it reads: Ammonia 1.0 ppm Nitrite 5 ppm Nitrate 40 ppm. A few days ago I added TSS+ not knowing having fish in the tank is required to keep the bacteria alive (right now im doing a fishless cycle). So should I go out and buy a betta to do a fish in cycle? Those readings seem toxic for a fish to live in or does TSS protect against that?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

I'm a big supporter of a fishless cycle, and they generally take less time to cycle than with fish. I don't recommend using a Betta. Although hardy, they already suffer enough in those cups at the store and you don't want to stress it out and possibly kill it in the toxic cycling tank! TSS has the bacteria to get the cycle going, not any protective barriers for the fish.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Keeks

Ok cool. I'm just afraid of doing the fish food method as a source of ammonia since I'm still seeing planaria here and there and am worried they will spike if I add any waste. Will the cycle be ok without me doing anything?

Also I'm still a bit new to this cycling thing. So if my ammonia's at 1, nitrites at 5, and nitrates at 40 what does that mean?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  4. KinsKicks

You have have to intervene a little concerning the ammonia. Depending on how the nitrifying bacteria are doing, they do need the ammonia-fixing bac

Ok hang on...it posted without me! I'll finsh it in a sec

You have have to intervene a little concerning the ammonia. Depending on how the nitrifying bacteria are doing, they do need the ammonia-fixing bacteria to be able to do their job to produce their food. So they can reproduce and grow, I'll provide the scientific breakdown (I explained before in another thread, I'll just copy and paste), give me a sec to dig it up!

Ok! Here it is. And I'm sorry if it sounds like a class lecture, I've studied this stuff for my major and can't help it sometimes :p

There are two types of bacteria 1)autotrophs and 2)heterotrophs. The former consumes the   and latter is what consumes the ammonia. The latter also grows MUCH faster and reproduces MUCH faster (every 15-20min, the autotroph=24 hours). The bloom appears with the introduction of new ammonia at a high concentration (the bottles stuff) and the heterotrophs (are the bloom)utilize the new introduction of nutrients to GROW. Eventually, the autotrophs should eventually catch up and the heterotrophs will slow down because in order to fix ammonia, they need oxygen (autotrophs don't) and they are consuming it rapidly as they grow, and as they switch to the anaerobic process, they'll start helping fix nitrites (although, literally a million times slower/less efficient that the autotrophs). The nitrates won't pop up until the bacteria get going; it's probably to low for your test kit to pick up, and one day isn't enough time.

Please keep in mind that i used this for someone whom had a bacterial bloom (you may or may not see this anyhow) and no nitrates in their cycle. But process of the cycle is the same, and you do have nitrates.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    Keeks

So if I have nitrates I'm good, or do I need to raise the ammonia?

6. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You can actually do fish-less cycles with tss+ and ammonia, but nitrite readings that high are going to slow down the progress of the beneficial bacteria. I'd do a water change to bring it down.

7. KinsKicks

Ok. Break down time!
    • nitrites signify the ammonia-fixing (heterotrophs, if you decide to read my lecture, lol) bacteria are working. That's good. It's a little high, so you may want to do a water change.
    • nitrates indicate the nitrogen-fixing bacteria (autotrophs) are working too. Also good.
    • you'll know when the cycle is over (a few weeks) when the ammonia and nitrite is zero. The nitrates will be high still, but water changes help in reducing it to safe levels. So, until then, you may need to supply ammonia (I believe they make bottled ammonia for fish tanks or if you really can't find it, you can use a good household ammonia that is PURE ammonia, no Chem additives...read the label!) so there is food for the heterotrophs which make food for the autotrophs(the bacteria you really want)

Keep posting questions if you like!

Hope that helps and all the best!

8. OP
    OP
    Keeks

Ok thanks. Sorry for all the questions.

Does stress coat affect TSS like Prime does? If so I'll have to let water sit for 24hrs.

Also how much pure ammonia would I have to add? It's a 5.5 gallon.

9. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

All dechlorinators affect tss, I would hold off on adding ammonia until your nitrite levels are down to .5. Your bacteria aren't going to starve, there is already enough ammonia in the tank.

10. KinsKicks

Stress coat is different than prime. The former is exactly that, a stress coat, it tends to supposedly (on the bottle) affect the nitrites and nitrates, but not ammonia itself. Also too, on that, it doesn't actually have a track record in affecting the bacteria in that way, so don't count on it. Prime is a conditioner geared towards reducing all three

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice