Trying to understand German Blue Ram Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumbachr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to understand why we lost 4 German Blue Rams within a 18 or 36 hour period of time.

The tank is a 90 gallon planted aquarium that has been going for about 6 months now. From the beginning we worked with our local aquarium store to set it up, with the intention of eventually adding Discus. Following there advice everything was going well. The plants and fish seemed to be becoming well established and healthy. We run a Hydor 350 canister filter rinsed ever 3 weeks(no rinsing of the biological media),we have 2 air bubbles, and CO2 for the plants ( co2 was set to approx 8 bubble inm 10 seconds). We only do water changes using RO water and I test the water using the Freshwater test kit (with he bottle and tubes) once every two weeks but in between I use testing strips. One strip coves 6 things and I have ammonia test strips also.

Current fish we are, Tetras (7 Prisstella, 6 Neon, 5 Empeor, 8 Black Neon), Corys (4 Bronze, and 5 I can't remember the name of), 6 White Cloud Minons, 3 Siamese algae eater.

We had a small fight with Ich for a few days but that had been well resolved for weeks and no sign it now.

4 weeks ago I abondened the Discus idea and we tried out an Electric blue Acra and a Kribensis but one or both was aggressive and and started eating our smaller fish and our Amano Shrimp. The kind people at the store took back the Acra and Kribensis 4 days later.

The Rams had been in the tank going on about 4 months and everything seems as if it was going well until ...

Sunday night the water test came back fine, nothing to be worried about.
Monday night we discovered that one ram had died.
Tuesday morning I forget to turn the lights on before going to work. (so no visual check)
Tuesday evening I notice 1 ram at the bottom of the tank, upright but gasping. The other 2 did not look stressed at all.

Hoping to save the gasping fish I begin a 20% water change. After the change we add Prime, Stability and Ich treatment. An hour or so after the change I did another water test and everything came back fine, PH was about 7.5 but that's where it has always been. All other test were ideal i was mostly concerned about Ammonia but that tested at zero. Water temps look good around 81F to 83F . I even shut off the CO2.

In the next morning I wake up to find that all 3 rams had died even the two that appeared healthy the night before.

Any suggestions on what we might have done wrong?

Thanks in advice for any advice.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section and for the length but i wanted to be thorough.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What were the actual figures when you got the water tested? When a shop says its "fine" that's a purely subjective assessment, and usually not true...

Last edited:
OP
G

grumbachr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=580

Last night after a quick 15 gallon water change ( 15 of 90 gallon tank) trying to rescues the fish. the test reading come back as.

pH - between 7.2 and 7.6
pH High range 7.4
Ammonia between 0 ppm and .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate - between 0 ppm and 5.0 ppm

The number would be the same for from Sunday nights test also as I've never had any tests come back out of where I would hope they should be.

I say between on ammonia and nitrate only because the color in the tube looked slightly off from the color chart i'm comparing it to, but the color difference was minor.

Again TIA.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Trouble is, in alkaline water your slight ammonia is enough to kill Rams. Do you use Prime? (This can give this slight ammonia reading).

What's the hardness?

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This may or may not be a concern with rams but do you add any minerals back in the water when you do water changes (since you're only using RO water)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom