Trying to set up a tank Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Sharks' started by AngelAsh3, Apr 2, 2010.

1. A

AngelAsh3 New Member Member

My boyfriend and I are trying to set up a tank. Right now we have a 29 gallon fresh water tank with all the trimmings but no fish. He wants to get a shark. The two we are trying to pick from are a bala shark and a rainbow shark. I would also like to get some cherry barbs. From what I have read i think our tank is too small for the rainbow shark but i just wanted to make sure. Basically what I am trying to ask is, Can our tank handle either of these sharks? And would i be able to get cherry barbs with either, if not what would good tank buddies for them be? Please help me :;fb

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

your aquarium is too small for either of those, and bala sharks prefer to be in large groups..
    but barbs should be okay

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. For the sharks, you need a tank 3x the size of the one you are getting.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!
    If you ONLY get a rainbow shark, and NO other fish for the bottom, you could have him and a 6-8 school of cherry barbs for the top/middle IMO..the barbs dont usually mess with the bottom and he would have the 29g to himself......a bala gets over 12 inches and would break that tank....good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    A

AngelAsh3 New Member Member

Thank you for replying, so its a no go on the shark. Any suggestions on what would go well with cherry barbs?

6. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

7. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I respectfully disagree. An RTS with any tankmates shouldn't be in anything smaller than a 55g IMO.

8. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

If he is not aware just tell him those species are NOT actually sharks. Do a bit of research with him.... then if its just a masculine thing to have "sharks" maybe he will enjoy a diff fish. There really are so many kinds of fish you could put in that size tank.

9. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

No problem. I was just trying to suggest a smaller "shark."

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I keep a blue crayfish and golden wonder killi with my cherry barbs. With black sand and a black background, it's a stunning tank (29).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice