Trying to save my Guppie (Fin rot)

1. edgardcafe Member Member

Hello,
    Everyone
    I'm trying to save my Guppie.. Yesterday I did 50% water changed And added API Aquarium salt and melafix and raised the temperature to 82F.
    Today she looks little better than yesterday ....though..doesn't look good! Yesterday she was unable to move around and did not eat and today she is moving around and eat little bit!
    My parameters are.
    PH 7.6+
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5

https://youtu.be/klLbFCdMGPc
    [​IMG]

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Okay I would really slow down the bubbler you have, so she doesn't have to use up as much energy. Second your readings look perfect:) I would just do water changes everyday(20%) to keep the water clean and new.

3. edgardcafe Member Member

I will do that ! Thanks for your advice!

4. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Definitely agree with slowing down whatever is causing that current.
    But I have to ask why aquarium salt and why did you raise the temperature?

5. edgardcafe Member Member

don't know what to do!? I'm watching the poor little guppie suffering..make me feel sad!
    Will be better if I do euthanize the poor thing

6. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

No I wouldn't result to euthanasia yet..
    You really shouldn't start treating with meds and whatnot unless you know what youre doing lol..

I ask about temperature because from what Ive heard, raising the temperature can make it worse. Warmer temperature and medication combined depletes the oxygen in the water (but I noticed you have a bubbler in the back, so I wouldn't be too worried about your oxygen level)
    In reality, most cases of fin rotcan be cured with frequent water changes and a healthy varied diet

Can you take pictures your fish and post them please?

7. edgardcafe Member Member

I read somewhere that the salt is to prevent Fin rot and the temperature should be at 80-82F

8. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

The benefits of salt seems to be a highly debatable subject. Because of this, I dont use it, so cant give advice on it.
    But Im currently rehabing a betta who lost his entire tail fin. Im doing it with nothing but water changes and healthy foods. Abd its growing back! :)

Since im no expert on Fin Rot, I'll page some people who may be able to help you better
    Aquaphobia TexasDomer

9. edgardcafe Member Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

One of my betas also had fin rot. I moved her to a tank of her own and give her blood worms, brine shrimp, and all of that yummy stuff and her whole fin has grown back in a week. I don't do one water change, just gave her extra attention

11. edgardcafe Member Member

I feed them with Fancy Guppy by Hikari and sometimes brine shrimp

12. MinhMai Member Member

Your guppy health seems to be trending up, not down so just keep doing what you're doing and keep it comfortable. Guppies are the hardiest fish I'd argue and survive a wide range of conditions. Salt with guppies is fine. They can survive in brackish water and can be found in salt water in the wild. Also here's this old journal article of an experiment. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1984.tb04815.x/abstract

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That looks pretty severe. I'd start her on meds (not sure if bacterial or fungal more appropriate - looks fuzzy to me).
    DoubleDutch - what do you think?

14. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say bacterial. To be honest it is verrrrrry severe and doubt it will regrow.

15. edgardcafe Member Member

Well... I wake up this morning and check to see the little guppie and she was dead on the bottom of the aquarium .
    How Can I get rid of bacterial disease or fin rot ..? I will be appreciate to get help from an expert.. I have search in the Internet and it's make me confused with way to choose to get rid of it.

She didn't make it..poor thing

16. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear !

17. MinhMai Member Member

Sorry man. Thought she'd get better if she was willing to eat.

18. edgardcafe Member Member

Thanks for the link ..last night I spent almost 3hours reading and learning. ..
    Today ..Soon as wake-up I checked on my Guppies and OMG it's another one with finrot!
    Yesterday i purchased online.

- WONDER SHELLS MEDICATED and REGULAR- Medium
    - ParaGuard 250 mL
    And Methylene Blue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What other fish do you have in the tank?

How often do you do water changes and how much are you changing?

20. edgardcafe Member Member

I just have guppies .. now just left adult guppie and 2 fry
    I changed 50 % water on Sunday